SWG confusion

Do the test outside, full sun, back to the sun, hold the vial at the top at your waist. Glance to see the dot. Start at 100 line, add fluid up to 90, line, glance, see the dot, up to 80, glance. Once you do not see the dot with a GLANCE, use the next highest level. So if you do not see it at 50, use 60.

Pour the fluid from the vial back in the mix bottle, do it again. I do it three times and use a rounded up average.
Thanks… I just wondered what you could see from my pictures.

Follow the steps Marty gave you. Key point - GLANCE, not stare.
Thanks, I have...just thought maybe someone could give me a guess. All good...I'll double check myself at the local pool store tomorrow knowing full well they will be "off". ;)

Thanks, I have...just thought maybe someone could give me a guess. All good...I'll double check myself at the local pool store tomorrow knowing full well they will be "off". ;)
There isn’t any point in checking at the pool store, since you know their number will be off. How will you determine how off it is, and whether they are over or under?

You see the one photo where PoolGate showed you what 50 looks like, using the testing standard. Try the test again, outside, sunny day, sun behind you. Fill to first line, and glance. If dot is still visible, fill to second line and glance. Keep doing that until dot disappears and call that line your CYA. if it is very faint, like the photo above, call that your CYA for now. You will get more comfortable with the test, and you can always bump up the stabilizer a small amount later on. Better to do that, than to add too much and have t9 drain water.

Reactions: Michelle22
There isn’t any point in checking at the pool store, since you know their number will be off. How will you determine how off it is, and whether they are over or under?

You see the one photo where PoolGate showed you what 50 looks like, using the testing standard. Try the test again, outside, sunny day, sun behind you. Fill to first line, and glance. If dot is still visible, fill to second line and glance. Keep doing that until dot disappears and call that line your CYA. if it is very faint, like the photo above, call that your CYA for now. You will get more comfortable with the test, and you can always bump up the stabilizer a small amount later on. Better to do that, than to add too much and have t9 drain water.
I know the pool store won't be right...but I don't think my results are right either, which is why I want someone that might have an idea of what they're doing double check me. I feel like I've added way too much stabilizer the past week (almost 5 pounds) and I'm not getting the test result I think I should yet. This is all just very new and because it's so important I don't want to mess it up, like you said. If we can't tell test results from pictures, though, how does the 50 show correctly that PoolGate posted? (Again, just confused, not being difficult on purpose.) I will go test again now and another in the morning and go from there. Thanks for the patience and help everyone! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it. I’ll keep testing but quit talking about it.;) I‘m sure it will click soon enough. Thanks again everyone.

how does the 50 show correctly that PoolGate posted?
Well, all I can tell you is that my results with the standard exactly matches what PoolGate shows in his photo. And, he is outside, in the sun. That’s important because the cloudiness caused by the CYA behaves differently in different light conditions.

I would do exactly as Marty said!

Do I need to worry about my combined chlorine result of .5 before it becomes a bigger issue? I'm not sure what's causing it..probably sunscreen.

Do I need to worry about my combined chlorine result of .5 before it becomes a bigger issue? I'm not sure what's causing it..probably sunscreen.
No.

CC- Combined Chlorine

Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the “chlorine” smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5ppm, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down. In an outdoor pool, CC will normally stay at or near zero as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level and the pool gets some direct sunlight.

Well it depends.... what are the other chem levels telling you? Is your pool clear? do you pass a OCLT? If everything else is in line and the CCs are elevated to only .5 in one reading then its likely a isolated instance of something getting broken down by the chlorine (like sunscreen) [edit: what Marty said above]. Look at the other numbers and tests as a whole to decide if there is cause for concern.

My results are linked in my signature. I'm working on lowering TA, but it's not happening very quickly. Other than that, things seem okay.

TA is not a significant parameter in your pool type. Just keep pH in the 7's, and test TA when your pH rises and you need to add acid. You need the TA value in Poolmath to determine how much acid to add.

Reactions: mguzzy
How are you lowering it... by doing the aeration dance? That just takes time.
Yes, lower pH with MA, then aerate.
TA is not a significant parameter in your pool type. Just keep pH in the 7's, and test TA when your pH rises and you need to add acid. You need the TA value in Poolmath to determine how much acid to add.
Really? Haha, who knew! So I can just stop where I am?! This is GREAT news, thanks Marty!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.