SWG confusion

It's cloudy and rainy if it matters, but I can add the stabilizer. Do I add it after getting the FC to my target? Then put the salt in?

Get the stabilizer and chlorine in the water. The salt is secondary right now. Get the pool water chemistry in line then worry about the salt.

Reactions: Michelle22
Oh, great. Now how to get my times to match? My phone and computer are correct, but the logs show results in the future. I have my profile settings to the correct time zone.

I'm always fighting hard water and high pH in my aquariums, so I suspect my water hardness won't change much and it won't be something I test often. Does that seem right? I know I can lower the pool pH with muriatic acid, I'm just not sure when to add it and I think I've read that salt will lower hardness some?

Salt has no effect on pH.
With a liner pool, only high CH matters. So if your fill water CH is under 400 ppm, it is not much of a worry. I suspect you will rarely refill the pool (due to evaporation, splash out, etc) with the hose as you get rain and that should keep the pool full most of the time.

+1. Ohio averages 38 inches of rain a year. Depending on how long you stay open, you could easily a 1/3 free water exchange every year and if you don't cover for the winter, a 75% exchange.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once the sock is empty, the CYA can be tested in 24 hours. You can assume the CYA is in the water for all FC calculations.

New test results posted. Looks like I should add bleach and little more CYA. What about the MA?
At what stage in the pool maintenance process are you? If you have a SWCG , you need to get your CYA to 70 ppm if the water is clear. Lower the ph to 7.4. Are you adding chlorine? You should never let your FC get that low.

New pool, trying to get things balanced per your suggestions the past few days. I have a SWCG but was told to balance things before adding any salt. Then to wait 24 hours after first dose of CYA and to shoot for 30. So here we are. Also reading the water may be too cold for a reliable CYA reading...

OK -- get chlorine in the water now.
I doubt your pool water is lower than 40 F. Your CYA test should be fine.

Is the water still clear?

Great. Add another 30 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer. If all is good, add your salt and start the SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.