SWG confusion

No worries, and I get it about adding other things. ;) I just ran pH, TA, and FC. Really want to get the TA down.

Last edited:
New test results. FC is rising and I'm not sure how high to let it go before cutting back on SWCG time. Also it's another cloudy rainy day so can't test CYA again. Salt has gone down some....from the freshwater rain, I assume?

New test results. FC is rising and I'm not sure how high to let it go before cutting back on SWCG time. Also it's another cloudy rainy day so can't test CYA again. Salt has gone down some....from the freshwater rain, I assume?
Just let the FC/CYA Levels be your guide. I lean toward using the high end of the range as my target. That way I have some elbow room in case there is an impromptu pool party. As the FC approaches your target start dialing back on the SWG % production knob. You will get a feel for how it responds the more you fiddle with it.

Reactions: Michelle22
My CYA target is 70 according to some suggestions earlier in this thread (but I can certainly change it). I think I had a bad test a couple days ago so I'm waiting for sun to do it again. May 31 it tested 55, June 1 it tested 35. Something seems amiss. ;)

FC reading 7 today, 5.5 yesterday. I turned off the SWCG and took off the solar cover. When should I test again? Also aerating for TA. Not sure how long that might take either.

Ok your SWG is slightly exceeding your daily FC loss but I would not turn it off now at peak season and 7 is not too high. Simply turn your SWG down a notch now and try to keep your FC stable from day to day and err on the high side. You do yourself no favors by keeping your FC on the low end of your target range with a SWG especially this time of the year.

FC reading 7 today, 5.5 yesterday. I turned off the SWCG and took off the solar cover
Twice a day is best as you learn. You will catch any drifts 12 hours (give or take) earlier. Once you have a pretty good feel for the program, and how your pool responds to it, daily is fine.

At some point (a few months) it all just clicks and you have a one-ness with your pool. You’ll know from yesterday what tomorrow should be and more often than not your hunch is proven by testing. At that point most people just test every other day and use their gut to add what they need in between.
Also aerating for TA. Not sure how long that might take either.
Could be anywhere from half a day to a few days. Testing morning/night will give you a feel for it pretty quick. Plus, the PH test is one of the easiest to do. It will only take a few seconds to see if it went up enough to matter yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC reading 7 today, 5.5 yesterday. I turned off the SWCG and took off the solar cover. When should I test again? Also aerating for TA. Not sure how long that might take either.

It took me like 3 weeks running 2 waterfalls 24x7 and 3+ gallons of muriatic to get my T/A from 90 to around 70.

I'm trying to add several pictures, but I'm having trouble. Let me know if it doesn't work...

CYA readings at lines 100......80.....60.....40

Attachments

• DAB80622-2DAB-4520-813A-F860F364FCBB.jpeg
    DAB80622-2DAB-4520-813A-F860F364FCBB.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2F587341-8186-4CE7-88E1-BA949ABF2A0C.jpeg
    2F587341-8186-4CE7-88E1-BA949ABF2A0C.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 4D03C152-D8F8-4114-A6BC-4F5B2D7133E2.jpeg
    4D03C152-D8F8-4114-A6BC-4F5B2D7133E2.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 18
  • CF7F594F-8602-4419-886B-0218C82803D7.jpeg
    CF7F594F-8602-4419-886B-0218C82803D7.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Do the test outside, full sun, back to the sun, hold the vial at the top at your waist. Glance to see the dot. Start at 100 line, add fluid up to 90, line, glance, see the dot, up to 80, glance. Once you do not see the dot with a GLANCE, use the next highest level. So if you do not see it at 50, use 60.

Pour the fluid from the vial back in the mix bottle, do it again. I do it three times and use a rounded up average.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.