SWG confusion

Test the CYA again after it is fully dissolved.
Add the salt today. Add liquid chlorine to get your FC to target level for 60 ppm CYA. Start your SWCG to generate at least 4 ppm FC each day.

Reactions: Michelle22
Okay, stabilizer and salt have been added and dissolved. I'll test salt tomorrow and CYA test is updated.

Anytime it is needed. Add in a pencil size stream at the return into the pool with the pump running. Brush the area to be sure it is well mixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I wasn't sure if starting the SWCG would have any effect on it and I should wait. I will test and add tonight.

How do I test CYA on a rainy day? I'm a bit worried about the drop as tested yesterday but it's been raining here all day.

Does it make sense that it would drop 20 points in a day? (Hoping I tested wrong the second time. I've put 4 pounds in total May 30 & 31.)

Does it make sense that it would drop 20 points in a day? (Hoping I tested wrong the second time. I've put 4 pounds in total May 30 & 31.)
No. Unless you drained the amount of water needed to lower it that much. And refilled with fresh water.

I didn't drain any until after the test with a backwash and the only freshwater would be half an inch of rain (again, after the test).

Half an inch of rain would affect you with about a 1% loss and unreadable. The reasonable explanation for the original FC loss and now the CYA loss would be ammonia, but that’s highly unlikely with a fresh fill. Just to be 100% clear you didn’t add any magic pool store Chems right ? Just plain Jane stuff off the approved list ?

Sorry, had to make sure. Some people like to sneak in a cheat or two from the pool store and we find out the hard way when they finally come clean that they added Ammonia-Something-something that the pool store said would help. :)

So most likely a testing error. And that’s a GOOD thing.

Try it again tomorrow, plenty warm, lots of natural light, You know the drill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.