Would you suggest more muriatic acid to lower the TA as well? And if so, why are pH and TA separate tests?

They are two different water parameters, that require separate tests. Both parameters react to muriatic acid being added, but they are not just a measure for how much muriatic acid is in the pool. It's not like Fahrenheit/Celsius, or miles/kilometres, that are just different units for the same parameters.

There are other things you can do to your water that will affect only one of the two parameters.

Aeration for example will increase pH, but TA will remain constant. But the current level of TA will determine how much pH will react to aeration.

Adding baking soda will have a big impact on TA, but only a small impact on pH, whereas adding washing soda will increase both parameters.

pH is a measure for how acidic or basic the water is, TA is a measure for how much pH will react to processes that will change the pH.

Reactions: JSchan
SWG kicked on today due to a spike in pool temperature so I added the rest of my salt and got a green light shortly after brushing it around the deep end. Seems to be a difference in opinion between my Pentair SWG owner manual and pool math regarding CYA level: manual recommends 30-50ppm and pool math 70-80. Soooo... 60?! 😂 can anyone shed some light on why this might be

can anyone shed some light on why this might be
Pentair does not vary the CYA level based on using a SWCG. They state the generic chemistry levels used by the Pool Industry for years. They also state 1-3 ppm FC.

See Pool Water Chemistry

Many of us in the SW desert target 80-90 ppm CYA during summer. Drop below that and FC usage rises dramatically.

Good to know. Looking to get the Puri-tech stabilizer conditioner. With some very hot days approaching this summer, is it crazy to get the best deal on Amazon at 50 pounds for $77 or will 25 be enough to get through the season? I do plan on using a bubble cover on the days the pool isn’t being used which will not be often on hot days since I have 2 kids that swim like fish.

Once you get the CYA to 80 or so, it will degrade by about 10 ppm per month in June, July, and August. So take a look at Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath and see what amount of CYA you will use.

Reactions: JSchan
That helps a lot. With my current level of 40 (which is okay this time of year I believe) it will take apps 7 pounds of stabilizer to get to 80. It will only take 1 pound to get it from 70 back to 80.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.