Surge protector at equip pad?

3asyB

Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2019
CSTX
The electrician wants to add a surge protector at the equipment pad.

Is this a normal thing to have/need?

Looks like it’s not in the contract, but the electrical sub told me it’s a good idea.

what do y’all think?

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a variable speed pump. Surge protector will probably add 200 to $300, I think I’ll have them add it now while they’re out there.

I hadn’t planned on swg but after joining the forum, and fairly late in the construction process, I asked my PB about one. They said they do not like the idea because it will literally “eat my flagstone coping” not in the budget now anyway but I might add one later.

I hadn’t planned on swg but after joining the forum, and fairly late in the construction process, I asked my PB about one. They said they do not like the idea because it will literally “eat my flagstone coping” not in the budget now anyway but I might add one later.

You might want to search the forum on the flagstone statement. That is an excuse for poor quality flagstone. The salinity in a SWCG pool is not much more than any chlorine pool. If the flagstone will flake, it will under any environmental condition.

Not for nothing, our house is a new build and I insisted a whole house surge protector be installed. Cost was ~$140 and is the square D model as posted earlier. I don't have anything at the pump side....yet.

Last edited:
3asyB,
Highly concur with @Divin Dave's comments re a Surge Protection Device (SPD). If you have any type of electronics at the equipment pad, I would certainly recommend it. Cheap Insurance. I have automation, an electronics laden variable speed/flow pump, SWCG and a muriatic acid dosing device that uses electronics. I certainly wanted to protect those devices from electrical surges by utilizing a Surge Protection Device (SPD).

For my particular needs and based on some extensive research on my part, I chose the Siemens FS100 Whole House Surge Protection Device (SPD) to protect all of my electronics at the Pool Equipment Pad. But there are others out there as well. The Siemens has two "very bright" green indicator lights that I can see from the kitchen window. So I can always tell from the house that it's protecting my equipment.

Here is a photo that illustrates how I installed the SPD on my Pentair Load Center.

IMG_4869A.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a quote from my post a couple years ago on the topic of surge protection for VS pumps.

“When I put in my VS pump, I actually installed two "whole house" type surge protectors. I put a larger one (Eaton Ultra) at my main service panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQAKRSS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed a smaller Square D unit directly on my pump panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052DMIUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I happened to have an open breaker in my main panel, so there was no additional cost for that. My total cost for both was less than $125 and a couple hours of my time for the install.

A VS pump is, in reality, a computer directly connected to, and controlling a high powered electrical motor, placed outdoors and powered through a long feed line. Gee, what could go wrong there? Almost every VS pump failure we have seen was caused by "failure of the control/drive unit". In other words a power surge
.”

Just so everyone understands if U have multiple sub panels you can’t protect the main panel and that in turn protects the sub panel or panels. U only protect equipment on that sub panel and work ur way backwards towards main panel at home. So example. I have a sub panel at my pool house. So I will protect thst. I also have 3 other sub panels in my home. (Theatre,2nd floor, basement). The main panel does my first floor. So if I have a surge on the main panel only the first floor is protected. No other sub panel is protected.
I know a lot of you guys here know that but figured for someone who might not know and has multiple panels might think they can protect the main and then all subs off of it is also protected.

Just figured I would throw that out there. Deff a good, on the cheap side, idea for some protection.

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.