tkdb1089

Jul 19, 2021
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Recently replaced my very old super 2 lid with a shiny new one. Fresh o rings and lube, of course.

Now I can't get the darn thing off! And it's monsoon season in AZ... I've got both types of lid wrench, I've tried a rubber mallet, I've tried the WD-40 trick. Can't quite figure out how to effectively use a makeshift breaker bar with the lid wrench.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Man, I cannot budge this thing, even with a monkey wrench. I don't know if I should just wait for it to cool off outside (in Phoenix that means October maybe) or what. The only thing I can think of at this point short of cutting the Dang thing is to bolt some metal eyes to each end of the handle to put a long piece of pipe or rebar through as a perpendicular lever...

No dice. I still haven't gotten it off. At this point, I'm watching how much is in the basket, just a small number of leaves so far. It's fairly well protected by the rest of the equipment on the suction side. There's a basket on the suction vac line too. I'm trying to give the lid a few taps every day and get it to loosen up. If it doesn't work out, I'll going to get monster channel locks when I'm forced to get the lid off, and accept that it is probably going to break. I'm worried about torquing it too hard and breaking more of the equipment because the pump is not bolted to the pad, so I've got to stabilize it at the same time. Might need a buddy to come over and help. I'm hoping to get closer to the end of the summer before I create a situation where there's more plumbing work or a new pump housing because we had to cave man this thing, hah.

Reactions: JamesW
Some other options I've seen:
1. I used large channel lock pliers on one side with cloth covering the plastic and
2. A rubber maillot on the other side
I was twisting and pounding at the same time on opposite ends if that makes sense.... and off it came slowly.

Alternate with hot & cold water

Tapping slowly with a 2x4 along the lid

Used a strap wrench around the circumference of the lid

Tap with two rubber mallets at the same time

Reactions: tkdb1089

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
full

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.