Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am on a well.
Use a water softener.
Smelly hot water, not cold water.
I have cut out the anode rods-didn’t fix it.
I have drained and flushed with peroxide. Fixes it for about 2 weeks.
I have cranked thermostat up to 140 degrees for about 2 hours then back to 125. That fixed it for about a month.

I have 2 40 gallon AO Smith water heaters that are plumbed together (water pulls from both).

Any suggestions?

1690330954787.png

WHY DOES MY WATER SMELL LIKE ROTTEN EGGS?

Hydrogen Sulfide and Sulfur Bacteria in Well Water

Hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) can give water a “rotten egg” taste or odor. This gas can occur in wells anywhere and be:

Naturally occurring - a result of decay and chemical reactions with soil and rocks.

Produced by certain “sulfur bacteria” in the groundwater, well, or plumbing system.

Produced by sulfur bacteria or chemical reactions inside of water heaters.

How Hydrogen Sulfide Gas is Produced in a Water Heater

A water heater can provide an ideal environment for the conversion of sulfate to hydrogen sulfide gas.

The water heater can produce hydrogen sulfide gas in two ways - creating a warm environment where sulfur bacteria can live, and sustaining a reaction between sulfate in the water and the water heater anode.

A water heater usually contains a metal rod called an "anode," which is installed to reduce corrosion of the water heater tank.

The anode is usually made of magnesium metal, which can supply electrons that aid in the conversion of sulfate to hydrogen sulfide gas.

The anode is 1/2 to 3/4 inches in diameter and 30 to 40 inches long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.