Fast Lane Pro current generator in new pool install gone south.

OWSwimmer

Mar 8, 2022
TX
Had an in ground pool installed which included the installation of a Fast Lane Pro current generator Fastlane Pro | Backyard Lazy River | Lazy River Pool manufactured by Endless Pools. The PB install of the FLP didn’t go like it should have and I’m left with a non standard installation. My biggest concern right now is how the threaded support rods are protruding from the pool wall.
Also troubling is placement of the thru-wall fittings that house the fluid supply/return hoses.

Attached is a pic of how the threaded support rods, thru wall plumbing and mounting plate were supposed to be installed followed by pics of what I got.

The threaded support rods are at water level and not enclosed or sealed. Is this a possible leak source? What happens when pool water gets behind the tile?

I need to know if this chopped up tile behind the threaded rods and thru wall plumbing fittings are a source for water leakage or other problems. Does this need to be fixed and if so how?
Would really appreciate some input here and thanks in advance!

IMG_1986.pngIMG_9165.jpegIMG_9166.jpegIMG_1516.jpegIMG_1518.jpegIMG_9360.jpeg

These openings will leak water into the gunite shell.

They should be sealed with plaster or grout.

Let's ask @AQUA~HOLICS how he would handle such a pentration?

img_1516-jpeg.536638

img_1518-jpeg.536639

Depending on the weight of the unit in the pool, and how much vibration it generates - grout may not be the best course of action. In the sample pics of how it would be done correctly - the stainless plate and the mounts are tight to the shell, allowing little if any movement. In the pics of your installation, that far away from the wall, there is no support other than the bolts in shear. Bolts are not designed for shear strength - they are designed for clamping load. If you cannot change the install, IMO, the best sealant would be something flexible vs hard/solid grout. The flexible sealant would not crumble the way grout will if the bolts vibrate/move.

You could always get stainless spacers fabricated to take up the free space between the pool wall and the mounts on the current generator to allow it to move less and then yes, I would agree then with grout.

-Tom

Depending on the weight of the unit in the pool, and how much vibration it generates - grout may not be the best course of action. In the sample pics of how it would be done correctly - the stainless plate and the mounts are tight to the shell, allowing little if any movement. In the pics of your installation, that far away from the wall, there is no support other than the bolts in shear. Bolts are not designed for shear strength - they are designed for clamping load. If you cannot change the install, IMO, the best sealant would be something flexible vs hard/solid grout. The flexible sealant would not crumble the way grout will if the bolts vibrate/move.

You could always get stainless spacers fabricated to take up the free space between the pool wall and the mounts on the current generator to allow it to move less and then yes, I would agree then with grout.

-Tom
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like good advice. Pretty sure there won’t be any install change. PB wouldn’t have the talent. They didn’t bother to look at the installation instructions and that’s how I ended up here. I gave them too much credit and should have done this myself. Workmanship warranty is running out but I don’t trust them to even apply the grout or sealant to fix this.

I’ll be doing the repair myself. The pool has been like this for almost a year now so hoping there’s no permanent damage. The threaded rods had to have couplings connected because the rods were installed wrong and didn’t protrude into the pool enough. I’m sure the addition of the couplings further reduce the threaded rods ability to support the load. This fix was the best the manufacturer and PB could come up with.
I think you’re right about the ss spacers and will look into this.
Can you recommend a specific sealant product for this repair?

PB installed this hanging bracket like this but didn’t fill in the gap. What sealant should I use to close it up? The 2 holes are at fill level. Is there a sealant I could use that wouldn’t require draining the pool a few inches? IMG_9159.jpegIMG_9158.jpegIMG_9166.jpegIMG_1518.jpegIMG_1516.jpeg

Was the bolt incorporated into the cement during the build or did he anchor that in after the tile was installed? That is some really crappy work, and at the waterline too

The threaded rod went into the concrete at the build.

Yes I know how bad the work is. PB said they would use a factory rep to install the swim current generator but instead tried to install it themselves having no ability or experience. Too many battles to win this one. Plus it was too late to change anything since it was installed wrong at concrete pour. Should have been installed like the photo I just added. IMG_1986.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Tom. I was looking for an exact product reference. Lots of sealants out there and I’ll need one that can stay submerged indefinitely. Ideally it would be nice to be able to apply without draining the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.