Mike11918

Jun 13, 2021
Upland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello to all. So I follow TFP religiously. Suddenly I have a large algae problem and would like some input. I left out of town for three days and prior to leaving, pool was crystal and great. Upon coming back, algae was evident. I do use a solar cover and it was covered the entire time gone. I checked chemistry prior to leaving and upon returning and all was well. Just trying to see if perhaps the solar cover created an environment for algae. Here are my pool specs currently.

20k pool, using only liquid chlorine.
FC 7.6
CC 0.1
Ph 7.4
TA 80
CYA 60

OCLT showed negligible chlorine loss. For now I’ve only backwashed the filter and taken cover off completely. I know I am very likely going to have to SLAM, but with my work schedule it’s very, very difficult. I don’t get home until after 10pm. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If fc falls below minimum for your cya algae grows. FC/CYA Levels
Follow the SLAM Process it is the only way to eradicate the algae. Do your best to maintain slam level as often as possible- upon waking, before work, after work, before bed. Hit it hard (every couple hours) when u get a day off. It may take longer but it will work.
Scrub that cover- & any algae hiding spots, ladders, steps, light niches etc.
please fill out your signature- it really helps us help u accurately.

Yup, it was on prior to leaving. I have always removed cover during the day to help heat up the pool. It’s been on for the last month or so. How would i go about decontaminating the cover?
Scrub the side that is in contact with the water with a bleach/water mix. I use the pool brush for it.

Thanks. Might just end up tossing it. It’s fairly new but rather large. I don’t have an area where I can open it up to do the scrubbing.
If you do slam the pool you might try putting the cover on while the water has the extra chlorine in it. This is just one possible explanation so maybe don’t go throwing out the cover just yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What does it look like? Could it be something else like pollen? I'm puzzled by the lack of overnight loss.
As am I. I don’t understand why OCLT shows no significant loss. Now, I’ve never had algae before but I do feel confident it’s algae because 1. It’s green and sticks to the walls. 2. The entire pool was covered so pollen seems like a non issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.