stuck salt cell

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
We unscrew our salt cell every 3 months when the check cell light comes on with no problem. This time the cell just won't budge. It doesn't help that it is up against the wall and the big filter cartridge dome is in front of it so it is awkward to access at best. Is there a special tool that can help loosen this up? Maybe a strap wrench? Thanks in advance!

Oil filter pliers. I lifted the image from home depot. Local auto parts store should have one, too.
d3e034e1-65f5-478a-ae88-25a367e6c419_1000.jpg

Its ok to use a a wrench to loosen the unions (just be very careful!!) BUT when you re-install it, the unions should only be hand tight. There is never a reason to use a wrench to tighten PVC unions. Also, always check the rubber o-ring and sealing surfaces to make sure they are not scratched and free of debris. Lube the o-rings up with a 100% silicone based lube and re-install hand tight. That's all it should take to properly seal PVC unions.

I use a strap wrench. They are very useful for this and oil filters in the car etc. Just get a large one. I had to go over to my friends house to help him remove his after he bought a small strap wrench. The small strap wrenches are toys IMHO. Mine came with small and large and small one broke years ago.

The best thing to lube a gasket with is Dow 55. It's expensive. But it swells the gasket just a little. I put a dab in my finger and run the gasket between my thumb and finger. You don't need a lot. I've had ok luck with silicone spray too. Spray onto a rag and the rub that on he gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We unscrew our salt cell every 3 months when the check cell light comes on with no problem. This time the cell just won't budge. It doesn't help that it is up against the wall and the big filter cartridge dome is in front of it so it is awkward to access at best. Is there a special tool that can help loosen this up? Maybe a strap wrench? Thanks in advance!

Don't use a strap wrench. I broke a union that way. I'd use a large pipe wrench, carefully.

Try wearing Nitrile gloves, they add a great amount of friction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There seem to be 9”, 16”, etc...sizes. The salt cell is around 3.5” in diameter with the thing that it screws into ( the nut) adding another inch or so. These are standard fittings I think. The 16” one goes out 5-1/2 inches while the 12” one only 4.5”. So I assume the 16” one would do, even if a bit big?

There seem to be 9”, 16”, etc...sizes. The salt cell is around 3.5” in diameter with the thing that it screws into ( the nut) adding another inch or so. These are standard fittings I think. The 16” one goes out 5-1/2 inches while the 12” one only 4.5”. So I assume the 16” one would do, even if a bit big?
Seems like. Go to an auto parts store and look at them in person.

In the same predicament. One side I could remove with a strap wrench but the other side stuck like heck.
Is there a pvc equivalent of wd40 that I can use?
Maybe pack the male end in ice to try to make it shrink a couple thousandths?
And at this point, maybe even try liquid wrench for its penetration abilities?
The options are getting poor. Most plastics are derived from oil, so you have to be careful with solvents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.