stuck salt cell

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
We unscrew our salt cell every 3 months when the check cell light comes on with no problem. This time the cell just won't budge. It doesn't help that it is up against the wall and the big filter cartridge dome is in front of it so it is awkward to access at best. Is there a special tool that can help loosen this up? Maybe a strap wrench? Thanks in advance!

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Its ok to use a a wrench to loosen the unions (just be very careful!!) BUT when you re-install it, the unions should only be hand tight. There is never a reason to use a wrench to tighten PVC unions. Also, always check the rubber o-ring and sealing surfaces to make sure they are not scratched and free of debris. Lube the o-rings up with a 100% silicone based lube and re-install hand tight. That's all it should take to properly seal PVC unions.

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
I use a strap wrench. They are very useful for this and oil filters in the car etc. Just get a large one. I had to go over to my friends house to help him remove his after he bought a small strap wrench. The small strap wrenches are toys IMHO. Mine came with small and large and small one broke years ago.

The dog

Apr 17, 2017
sacramento CA
The best thing to lube a gasket with is Dow 55. It's expensive. But it swells the gasket just a little. I put a dab in my finger and run the gasket between my thumb and finger. You don't need a lot. I've had ok luck with silicone spray too. Spray onto a rag and the rub that on he gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
We unscrew our salt cell every 3 months when the check cell light comes on with no problem. This time the cell just won't budge. It doesn't help that it is up against the wall and the big filter cartridge dome is in front of it so it is awkward to access at best. Is there a special tool that can help loosen this up? Maybe a strap wrench? Thanks in advance!
Don't use a strap wrench. I broke a union that way. I'd use a large pipe wrench, carefully.

Try wearing Nitrile gloves, they add a great amount of friction.