Still cloudy after months of effort

Hayward Star-Clear C1750 (or similar) filter images please!

Hi,
pagirl wisely suggested that I ask the community for any pictures of their Hayward Star-Clear cartridge filters -- specifically, the guide cone area on the top -- or if there is anything that seals the filter besides the "sleeve" that is molded into the top and bottom halves of the filter.
I am looking for anything that looks like a gasket or means of providing a seal between the cartridge and filter body...i am trying to solve a leak issue.
I have reviewed the parts diagram and I need more info/perspective.

Thanks,
David

Hi All,
I just spoke with a different Hayward tech, and he said to not even operate the filter until the guide cone got here... that it forms the seal between the filter housing and top of the cartridge I still am amazed that there is no o ring in there somewhere). It is surprising to me that a company as big as Hayward would have techs saying something so different about something so basic...
The Slime BaG has arrived and was installed. This and clarifier has gotten the pool to the best clarity of the season. We have 5 more days before school... gotta make the most of them!

Thanks,
David

Hi All,
I did a quick internet search and came across this response to a question about too much stuff getting past a Hayward cartridge filter...
look on Page 2 of the owners guide, guide cone.

This is a single pass filter, and if you're missing the cone, or the cone is dislodged, the dirty water will just by-pass the filter, and return to the pool.

Make sense?

Thanks,
David

My filter is setup different from yours. I have four cartridges and a spider looking thing that blocks off the top of them. It has a big spring that pushes down on it from the top of the filter cover. So mine doesn't have the cone like yours. But the general process is the same. Incoming water surrounds the cartridges, gets pushed through them, goes down into a different spider looking collector and then back out to towards the pool.

Hi (Rock the) Kats-pa,
The filter has been going every day. I tried to create a better seal with my "hillbilly" washers, made from a tracto inner tube, with no change.
The cone and hardware just arrived by USPS. I will install and report back.

Meanwhile, the Slime Bag continues its assault on anything above 1 micron. I smell victory, at last !

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,
Things have improved with the arrival of the guide come.trouble is, I still have the Slime Bag on for now... so it is hard to say exactly what is happening.
I could not fasten the E clip or washer inside the top of the filter housing because the shaft of the locking but is too short. Any chance that mine is

- - - Updated - - -

An older version? Maybe the C1750 (C17502 as it is called now) has a longer shaft ...and maybe this is a C900...

Hi PA,
I did not post pictures of the filter, but it is indeed called a Hayward Star-Clear C1750. They are now referred to as the C-17502. There are a multitude of sites that still sell the C17502. It is a single element cartridge.
I can see no reason that this filter would have the wrong lock knob, but I also thought (until very recently) that I had picked up a complete filter... and there is no doubt that the shaft is too short to attach the E clip. It does not reach all the way the hole...

Thanks,
David

I'm wondering if the top is not the correct one for the bottom. You have mentioned that there is a circular piece that fits inside of the cartridge. I don't see that on any of the drawings or pics I can find. So maybe that why things just aren't fitting together correctly.

Hi pa,
At this point I cannot rule anything out. In the parts diagrams I have reviewed (Hayward support, Inyo pools and others) they look pretty simple.
The circular piece is was speaking about is part of the molded top half of the filter. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like the cap from a can of spray paint, without the flat piece that is the very top of that lid. Another way (maybe more accurate) to describe that area in the filter lid is as a tube. The guide cone fit snugly onto the end of the "tube", and as the top is lowered onto the filter cartridge/bottom half of the filter, both the guide cone and "tube" will end up in the center (hole) of the cartridge.
That part of the re-assembly went smoothly. What stymied me was the fact that the locking knob shaft does not stick into the underside of the filter lid. It is about 1/2 inch too short. This means that I cannot attach the other washer or E Clip.
To me, it is very strange to have the wrong locking nut, but this whole thing has been strange :)

Water continues to clear with clarifier and Slime Bag... and one other side effect of the clarity is that the water has cooled as it has becomes less opaque. We have some basic physics going on here :)

Thanks,
David

Hi All,
Slime Bag is removed, pressure is still the same -- 9 pounds.

Thanks,
David

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All,
No am still looking to find out exactly what is the difference between a locking knob for a C900 filter and a C1750 (or C17502). They definitely have different numbers... I hope the shaft in the C1750 locking knob is longer, or the E clip cannot be fastened...

Thanks,
David

Hi All,
I received the replacement locking knob, and sure enough -- the one that came with my filter is for a smaller filter size!
I put the new knob on, and noticed that the guide cone is out of place. I still don't know how much of a factor that is...
The filter is now complete, including g new elements...

Thanks,
David

I'm really hoping for some pressure change. This would indicate that the filter is working because it should restrict the flow of water and therefore a change in pressure should be seen. Maybe it's small enough that it isn't readily noticed...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.