*Started build* Cape Coral, FL pool/spa Build

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
Signed the contract, finally! Still a month or so out from digging but figured I would get this started.

Leisure Pool/ Spa- geometric shape. 30'x12'. Sunshelf with bubbler next to spa leading to stairs.
6'x6' attached spa raised 18". 4 therapy jets. 1 corner spillway. *This rendering still shows a split spillway, we have removed that for the final drawing.
3'-5'6" Depth (I know some people think 3' too short, its fine for us)
Florida Stucco Florida Pearl finish
1160 Sqft Tricircle Mega Slate pavers in a creme/pecan/chocolate color. Extending into existing small covered patio with thin matching pavers over the concrete.

Equipment
Jandy Pro series 2.7hp VS PlusHP pump
Jandy Pro Series CS 250 filter
Jandy water colors nichless LED lights, 1 for deep end, 1 for sunshelf, and 1 in spa
Jandy Aqualink RS with iAquaLink (control from phone or tablet)
Jandy Pro Series Aquapure PLC1400
Jandy 1hp spa blower
Gulfstream HE-125 heatpump"

Third picture is one we are modeling our tile off of, except obviously with our spa design. Ours will also be all around the pool. Still semi debating whether we want regular 6x6 waterline tile for the border of the pool or just the 1x2 for everything.

Attachments

• Contemp 3d.png
    Contemp 3d.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 125
  • COLOR.jpg
    COLOR.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Mimic.jpg
    Mimic.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Night.png
    Night.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I hear you on the filter, but I am pretty much calling it for upgrades financially. I maintain the water features for a decent size resort (500k gallons of swimming water and around 90k worth of fountains), so things like cleaning a filter once a month or more dont really bother me. In fact, not sure I could leave a filter beyond a month. I clean 3 DE pits a few times a week and 7 large cartridges weekly. To see what gets filtered after just a few days...:sick:

I LOVE 1x2 tile! I hope you put that tile all the way around the pool BUT if you only put it on the spa it would make is an accent piece so that would be pretty as well.

What color of grout are you thinking of using? You can get colored grout sticks to help you pick what color you like the best. White will make each tile pop where a gray will help them blend in more. Both are pretty so you can't go wrong with either one.

Kim:kim:

I LOVE 1x2 tile! I hope you put that tile all the way around the pool BUT if you only put it on the spa it would make is an accent piece so that would be pretty as well.

What color of grout are you thinking of using? You can get colored grout sticks to help you pick what color you like the best. White will make each tile pop where a gray will help them blend in more. Both are pretty so you can't go wrong with either one.

Kim:kim:
Thanks we "liked" a few of the 6x6, but when we saw a build picture with this tile and it was only $20 extra, total, it was a sure thing for us. We will be using a charcoal colored grout. The picture above is with that same grout.

Hey Jonathan and welcome. I was going to suggest that you reach out to @moore887 if you needed help after the build because he is local to you. But now I see that you are also ‘in the industry’ so you’ll probably be fine managing your own pool. Oh well. Reach out anyway. Go have a beer as TFP and industry colleagues.

Reactions: JonathanD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Johnathan,

Your plans are similar to ours but we left out the spa at the last minute as the price went up due to the builder changing their mind about us needing a retaining wall. The Jandy lights are great (mine are on now!). Like that, we have the single bubbler on the shelf but it does tend to accumulate with dust since my pool robot doesn't work up there. I clean pools all day and my own gets neglected! Thank goodness for the Jandy SWG. I'm sure I would have a swamp in no time. Get a large filter. I am fed up washing and deep cleaning PAP 90 cartridges. I have a large filter. It's a year old and still going strong.

Hi Johnathan,

Your plans are similar to ours but we left out the spa at the last minute as the price went up due to the builder changing their mind about us needing a retaining wall. The Jandy lights are great (mine are on now!). Like that, we have the single bubbler on the shelf but it does tend to accumulate with dust since my pool robot doesn't work up there. I clean pools all day and my own gets neglected! Thank goodness for the Jandy SWG. I'm sure I would have a swamp in no time. Get a large filter. I am fed up washing and deep cleaning PAP 90 cartridges. I have a large filter. It's a year old and still going strong.
Hello fellow Cape Coralian. Yeah if were told that (retaining wall) we would do the same with the spa, we are at the top of our pool budget as it sits. How do you like the Gulfstream heater? And do you know the difference of the HE and HI besides the warranty? Who built your pool? Contemporary will be doing ours.

Dan from Contemporary gave us the best quote (until after the retaining wall wall!). Custom pools by design was a very close second and we probably would have gone with them. I service one of their pools and it's an impressive plumbing setup. Custom are now doing their own pool service. We had contemporary looking after ours too but we decided not to continue with them after I got a real test kit and had to take 3000 gallons out of mine. Fast forward a year and now there's a pool cleaning truck in my driveway spreading the TFP method of pool care!

I like the heater. It wasn't working initially but gulf stream were on it and replaced it right away. I believe the next one up from mine can cool also.

I presume you're getting a vs pump too? I fitted the wireless controller to mine. They are not expensive. Actually a rep gave me one at the Sarasota pool show last year and I watched Chlorine King's video on how to set it up.

No swimming today. It's a bit too cold!

We were close to going with Custom but we got a larger paver deck, pool, and some upgrades on equipment for the same price. They were very nice to deal with though, quality minded for sure. Dan is also our "sales" guy.

Yes on the VS pump, jandy 2.7. Also have the iAqualink, will be set to to our phone.

Congrats on the company. Hopefully staying busy. I work for the large resort down in Bonita.

Started the dig today. They dug a small pool in the morning and got to my house around 12. Shortly after digging we found a "little" surprise. Luckily he got it moving and out without extra $$. They said it was the biggest one they have moved without having to chip it up. The extra time to move that thing ate away the day. Just happy to have progress! * Regular photos were too big to post, just screen-shotted them instead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-203246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-203246_Gallery.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200409-203256_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-203256_Gallery.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20200409-203302_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-203302_Gallery.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20200409-203309_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-203309_Gallery.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
For $500 they can chip them up and haul them. We may just do that instead of regretting it later and then tearing up a new lawn to get them out. I wish the yard was bigger and I had more money and imagination.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200410-140047_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200410-140047_Gallery.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.