*Started build* Cape Coral, FL pool/spa Build

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Rocky home! I am guessing they are done digging. It is time for your first job for your pool. Go out there with a tape measure and the plans. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough??? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed.

Kim:kim:

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
Rocky home! I am guessing they are done digging. It is time for your first job for your pool. Go out there with a tape measure and the plans. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough??? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed.

Thanks, just measured and everything looks spot on so far.

Reactions: kimkats

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
They shot the shell today. Looks like a pool! Asked the builder if I needed to water it, he said no. It seems the best practice is to water it, but should I follow my builders instructions for warranty purposes?
You need to decide how you handle Builder advice different then ours. There will be a lot of it I think.

Reactions: JonathanD

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
What Allen said! Me? I would be watering that bad boy!! You cannot hurt it!

Now it is time for YOUR set of links!!!

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Reactions: JonathanD

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
So they took the forms off and backfilled a few days after shooting. Found a few minor issues that I am awaiting an answer for remedy. A piece of rebar is about half way exposed where the spa will be tiled over. Also a good amount of the horizontal piping is exposed in the spa from the shoot. I assume it was pushed back from shotcrete but you could not see until the form was taken off. They gave been very responsive with any issues and I dont doubt they will make it right, but what would a build thread be without a little drama?

Attachments

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Yeah I have not see a build without some kind of problem......what makes is great build is how the PB handles it! Lets hope they stay the course with the good communication!

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
A lot has been done since the last update. Birth of our daughter has taken up my pool write up time. Waiting on electrical, plaster, and then its water time.

Attachments

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
I do have a bone to pick about the heater bypass valve. With this plumbing I cannot stop the water going to the heater bypass. I can only stop the water going to the heater or coming from the filter. Any plumbing experts available to pass on their input before I bug the pool people again. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I do have a bone to pick about the heater bypass valve. With this plumbing I cannot stop the water going to the heater bypass. I can only stop the water going to the heater or coming from the filter. Any plumbing experts available to pass on their input before I bug the pool people again. Thank you.
You never want to stop the water coming from the filter. That will stop your flow and damage your system.

What do you want to do that you cannot with your current configuration?

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
In the current configuration. If am running the heater (normal operation") the valve is also "open" to the bypass pipe. I can shut off the heater pipe, but not the bypass. I don't know how much flow I am losing to the heater given the water is flowing to both the heater and the heater by pass. The "inlet" is now the heater bypass pipe, 3 way valves don't allow you to turn off the inlet.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
In the current configuration. If am running the heater (normal operation") the valve is also "open" to the bypass pipe. I can shut off the heater pipe, but not the bypass. I don't know how much flow I am losing to the heater given the water is flowing to both the heater and the heater by pass. The "inlet" is now the heater bypass pipe, 3 way valves don't allow you to turn off the inlet.
There is no fixed inlet in the 3 way valve. Remove the screws on the top of the valve and reposition it so the inlet is properly positioned and you can move the valve between closing the heater inlet or the heater bypass line.

Last edited:

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
I believe you but I have only ever replaced existing 3 ways and have never had to adjust the guts for proper flow. Thanks! This is why I came here before bugging them. Every time I bring something up, they are already in the process of doing the "right" thing lol.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
3 ways come assuming inlet is middle port. But no reason you can't use one of the end ports and reposition the valve assembly. An installer should be aware of that.