Spring TV Upgrade for Backyard/Pool

santacruzpool

Gold Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
Decided I would get a better TV and started looking for a deal on a 43-50" TV. During the Black Friday sales last year I almost pulled the trigger on a 50" Samsung TV but decided to hold off as I didn't want to spend $279-$300.

We currently have a fairly low end 40" Toshiba LCD TV that I got on a good discount from Best But almost 4 years ago. Despite it living most of its life outside (with a cover on it when not used) it was still working, but I wanted something a bit brighter and if possible larger. I think I spent under $200 for this low end Toshiba TV which has made it through a couple of entire winter seasons sitting outside during numerous torrential rain storms and it is still working!

While looking for an upgraded TV I was hoping to find an IPS Panel TV for the better brightness and better off angle viewing, but I also have a aversion to LG branded products, so finding a lower end TV with an IPS panel is a pretty big challenge. So I kept my eyes out for any really good discounts.

A few weeks ago I finally saw a clearance deal posted on Slick Deals for a TCL Roku 49" TV at Target for only $185.99 - this 49S405 model TV has a VA panel with decent brightness, and while not a prefect TV, it will certainly work very well for an outdoor TV - especially for the bargain closeout cost.

Once I saw this TV back in stock at our local Target I sent my wife to pick one up on Friday. I was able to install it yesterday. Luckily it fits perfectly using our existing TV mount on our Pergola. The brightness upgrade (being a 4K panel) helps us see it a bit better in the bright outdoor location - and for the cost it is hard to beat. Plus, it isn't like my eyes are getting better as I age, so having a larger 49" panel is an extra bonus!

I normally use a Roku stick so having the Roku built in is a nice bonus.

I will post a picture once the weather gets better.

If anyone is looking for a good TV for the backyard - this is a great deal on a lower end TV that still gets the job done. I have a waterproof cover in the mail that will allow me to leave it outside during almost any weather so that I don't have to worry about it too much. If it fails after a few years I am only out $200 or so and can get another one if needed.

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
My feeling is if I can get a TV cheap enough then I will put it outside. We don't have a covered patio or anything so it sits under our pergola which still allows all the weather to hit it - so on occasion if I forget to cover it, and just generally over time, it probably gets some tiny bits of moisture inside. We are also in a coastal foggy area so I am sure that makes things a bit worse...

I can replace a $185 TV pretty easily if I need to without feeling too bad about it.

Our new cover came in yesterday and I put it on the TV just a few hours before it started to rain!

Cruz, is there any way you can build an awning over your tv to better protect from elements?

Not really - it might be possible to add some roofing material to my pergola - but that isn't really doable now as there is no slope and with lots of trees nearby I would have to constantly clean whatever accumulated on top...The TV cover is a good solution for my situation.

I think the chance of the TV getting damaged due to weather is an OK trade-off - heck my 40" Toshiba LCD TV still works and it was outside the entire winter this year...along with 3 other spring-fall seasons.

I have a VISIO 50" on my Patio. I did have some moisture issues a short while back so I purchased a cover off Amazon. Now it does not
get splashed like before. I also changed to roof on our Pergola so that helped also. Buy the biggest you can afford, the cheap 300-400 large TV's a great for this application.

I would not let it get direct rain exposure.

John

Attachments

• 20190501_171923.jpg
    20190501_171923.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 80
I found Walmart sells Sceptures cheap online..I bought a 50" for $199 for inside and a 55" for $249 ( free shipping ) I put under our pool deck. Mine is covered 100% and so far survived the winter. Not fancy TV but great picture and I use Firestick for a source.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of course the week after I put this new TV up, and figured we were done with major rain for the year, it has been pouring. In the last couple of days we have had around 4 inches of rain...

Thankfully I got a brand new cover that should keep it protected, but it still worries me that I have a brand new TV sitting out in all of this rain and even some lightning this morning!!! :eek:

I have a VISIO 50" on my Patio. I did have some moisture issues a short while back so I purchased a cover off Amazon. Now it does not
get splashed like before. I also changed to roof on our Pergola so that helped also. Buy the biggest you can afford, the cheap 300-400 large TV's a great for this application.

I would not let it get direct rain exposure.

John
I see you live in Houston. Doesn't the extreme Texas heat and humidity affect your TV? I thought about having a TV on our back (covered) patio, but I think the heat alone would render it useless after a couple of summer months.

I see you live in Houston. Doesn't the extreme Texas heat and humidity affect your TV? I thought about having a TV on our back (covered) patio, but I think the heat alone would render it useless after a couple of summer months.

No, the only issue I had/have is when I had some water from a gutter drip on the back of the TV. I dried it and ordered a new board. when the board arrived the TV suddenly started working properly again.

I have kept the board for safety sakes!!

As long as the T.V. gets air flow a standard T.V. does fine.

John

Grab this and you'll be good to go. I have one on my 42" LG. Please note, to fit correctly you need to measure the width of the TV and not the screen size.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.