Spilled sand!! How much do I add back?

Bqtk

Jun 16, 2019
Belleville, ontario
Title says it all.
I have a Janby SFTM22. While moving things around I knocked over and spilled a decent amount of sand. I need help determining how much new sand to add back. Everything I see online talks about the amount of sand to add to an empty filter, but mine isn't empty (more than half full of good sand already). are there typically any marks or lines on the filter that I can use to gauge?

Thanks in advance!

All you can do is eyeball and estimate how much you lost. Jandy does not help you know the correct sand level.

Thanks! Followed both of your advice.

How do I gauge if I underfilled? Poor filtration? Some other functional measure?
Water will flow extra hard (less resistance) and your pool won't "clear" as expected. I've seen posts of people actually hearing noises (churning or similar) when not enough sand inside :)

Reactions: Bqtk
So... I didn't remember to backwash and rinse the new sand. I ended up with a slot of fine sand on the floor and suspended on the surface making things really cloudy. Tried some clarifiers (don't think they were alum floc) which got rid of some of it. I remember having good luck with liquid alum floc last year, so I was going to pick some up, but I thought I would check tfp first. Didn't realize there was so much hate for floc.

I'm not using it for organic matter here, just super fine sand that's stubborn. Is that appropriate or is there a better solution?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.