Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
I’ve been working on trying to figure out my VPS. I know that I want to run it for about 2 hours per day to clean and skim and then I’d like to run it the remaining 22 hours at a low speed like 1200 RPMs just to keep the water moving. My question is, when I turn it to 1200 I barely get any spa overflow and I just don’t know if that’s necessary to keeping the spa water fresh and chlorinated. It’s gets super hot in the summer (110+) and I don’t want to get an algae issue in the spa.
The other thing I’m trying to avoid is so much aeration raising my pH so I’d like the overflow to run as little as possible but still do refresh/chlorinate the spa water. Here’s a photo for reference:

Attachments

• F8ABA061-5C07-46AC-97B4-1F5E2464654E.jpeg
    F8ABA061-5C07-46AC-97B4-1F5E2464654E.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 16
Is the 'PDA' in your signature an automation system?

Most automation systems have a Spillover or Spillway function. You schedule that to run a couple times each day for 30 minutes or so to ensure the spa water is chlorinated.

Yea, that’s the only automated system we have right now. As far as I can tell, we have “pool mode” and “spa mode”. The only time I use the spa mode is when I turn on the spa heater.

I believe you then have Jandy Aqualink RS automation.

Spillover Mode​

If you have a pool and spa you can enable the Spillover function with dip switch #3 on the main panel. When switch #3 is on then AUX3 becomes the spillover control. If you have any relay connected to AUX3 you need to move it to an available Aux position.

With Spillover turned on by Aux3 the POOL/SPA return valve will move to the SPA position. Water will be suctioned by the pool and returned to the spa.

I’ll do some research on how to control the spillover with the PDA, but my real questions is, how long does it need to run each day to refresh and chlorinate the spa?

I’ll do some research on how to control the spillover with the PDA, but my real questions is, how long does it need to run each day to refresh and chlorinate the spa?

15 minutes at least twice a day.

unfortunately, I only have AUX 4-7 with nothing on the PDA or actually board out by the pool that mentions anything about spa overflow. I’ve just set the following schedule:

8-8:59am - 2600 RPMs
9-3:39pm - 1400 RPMs
4-4:49pm - 2600 RPMs
5pm-7:59am - 1400 RPMs

at 1400, the spa still dribbles over, but not a waterfall. I had to up it from 1200 bc at that low speed, my skimmer basket was floating. Does this look okay? In the dead of summer, when it’s 115 Degrees, will I need to add more “high RPM” time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is enough time at higher rpm.

Plan on lots of scale build up if water is trickling over the overflow.

It sounds odd that your automation would not have relays 1-3.....

I agree it’s strange, but here are photos of what I’ve got...
I’d love to be able to turn the overflow off but I’m not we’ll versed in the technical operation of the system.

Attachments

• 08884CB8-8ED3-49C6-8E59-5A3125AE7733.jpeg
    08884CB8-8ED3-49C6-8E59-5A3125AE7733.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2885E8C7-F833-4AE0-BD06-19A948A7414C.jpeg
    2885E8C7-F833-4AE0-BD06-19A948A7414C.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 26
Your Spa Light is currently connected to Aux3. You would need to move that wiring to the Aux 4 relay (as long as you have a RS6 or 8). Then the Spillover uses Aux3.

I’m pretty good with electrical (can pull wires, wire junction boxes, etc), but would love it if you could walk me through this...

after I cut the power, I move the wires that are currently connected to aux 3 to aux 4, then my spa light will be on aux 4. Where do I find the wires to hook up to aux 3 to control the spillover?

There are no wires for the Spillover. The system just uses that relay in its software to make the valves turn.

Confirm you have a RS6 or 8 first ----

Also, when I switch the wires, I’m assuming that my pda won’t update, so I’ll just have to know that what is currently labeled as “spa light” will now be overflow and aux 4 will now be spa light

Attachments

• A45253B7-2C37-4BFA-932E-DABF2F1F8BCC.jpeg
    A45253B7-2C37-4BFA-932E-DABF2F1F8BCC.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 7
Good question. I have no direct experience with that automation. I use our Wiki - Jandy Aqualink RS - Further Reading
When I start the PDA up it says PS8
That is a good start. When you drop the panel to get to the relays, if there are more than 4, then you have the 6 or 8 version.

I would suspect you will reprogram your PDA to show Spa Light connected to Aux 4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.