Rmf1981

Jun 3, 2022
Pittsburgh
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all -

I hope I'm posting this in the right location.

I have a Sundance Chelsea 780 spa. We've had a down for a few months because of an electrical issue, have had a very difficult time getting electrician to come help us.

Long story short, the electrical issue is addressed. I refilled the spa and got a PF1 error. Trying to address that, which I know is a flow issue. I believe there's an airlock.

However, in trying to address that I wanted to remove the filter. And doing so, have found that the filter is completely stuck in the spa. The plastic nut appears like it should be only finger-tight, but that sucker is completely stuck.

I tried dropping the water level to make this easier. I've used pliers. I've tried channel locks. I can't budge this.

Wondering if anybody else had suggestions for me. I thought of cutting through the filter (part of it requires replacement every 3 months, the other part is cleanable) But otherwise I really have no other ideas on how to get this thing off.

Until I can get this off, it's making troubleshooting the rest of it very difficult.

Attaching a picture If it's helpful. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20221209_142214.jpg
    20221209_142214.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 26
Rmf,

My spa filter is not like yours, so I have no direct experience with what you have.

Tells us more and maybe we can get some more inputs.

My filter just slides in and out without using any tools. Tell us how yours works.

Do you just screw the filter in from above or do you need to turn the nut at the bottom?

Maybe a pic or two from a little further back might help.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
It lays sideway in the filter housing. Might be that the o-ring is stuck to the filter cartridge or the nut is bound on the threads.

Strap wrench?

Makes me want to turn the nut on my filter when I get home.

Rmf,

My spa filter is not like yours, so I have no direct experience with what you have.

Tells us more and maybe we can get some more inputs.

My filter just slides in and out without using any tools. Tell us how your works.

Do you just screw the filter in from above or do you need to turn the nut at the bottom?

Maybe a pic or two from a little further back might help.

Thanks,

Jim R.
What Joe said below is correct.

It's a two-part filter, one part is cleanable on the left, the other part is one time use and gets replaced every three or four months.

That plastic winged nut thing is what is stuck. It's part of a pretty inexpensive piece that I believe pulls water into the system. I am not an expert on this.

In theory, that nut should be only finger tight, should roll back easy and allow me to lift the filter right out of the spa.

I can provide some more pictures when I get home. I believe that The nut was cross threaded by the last person that put it on (fortunately, not me).

I believe Joe suggested a strap wrench. That was suggested in a video I saw. That is one tool I don't have, but I'm actually going to obtain one today since I'm headed to the home improvement store anyway.

Hello again everybody.

So I did obtain and try some strap wrenches today. Unfortunately did not work. I think it's a surface area issue. The elevated projections on the nut keep the wrench from gripping a whole lot so it just slips as I try to pull hard on it.

A few times I did get some movement, it also turned the entire filter unit with it, so they are not moving independently.

Here's some additional pictures of the entire filter. For orientation, the left side of the picture is the side of the spa

Happy for any suggestions here.

Attachments

• 20221210_174644.jpg
    20221210_174644.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221210_174638.jpg
    20221210_174638.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 16
Rmf,

So, if things were working like they should, you should just be able to turn the nut with your hand. The nut just snugs things up so that the filter sits in the right spot.

If that is true, then I would just cut the filter out and then work on the nut.

I assume you are turning the right way to loosen the nut and not tighten it. Looks like you need to turn the nut in the upward direction.

Note... This assumes that the grey pipe does not go down through the filter itself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I use a channel-lock oil filter wrench myself, but a strap wrench should do fine. Once those threads "lock", which is to say, slip out of the groove, they usually require replacement of the nut.
Depending on the other end, you may be able to turn the filter and release it from the hook, or pop the hook out, but only on certain filters. If it has "crenellations" on the other end it is this type, but if it has a second pipe connection it is not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So by way of followup ....

I did get the filter out. It took 2 channel locks and a lot more forced than I had ever thought but eventually got it loose.

In the meantime, the lines had frozen because the temp dropped.

But after space heating my way to unfrozen lines, refilling part of the tub and restarting the heater .... It all seems to be working. Shockingly.

So now we are back at temp and working on getting the chemistry appropriate....

Thank you all for your help with this - very much appreciated.

Hello again -

So I've been working to bring the spa chemistry into acceptable ranges.

However, still getting an intermittent flow error. At this point, I believe that the filter probably needs replaced.

When I run it without the filter and place it seems to do just fine.

Any suggestions on where to get a new filter? This is my first time, so didn't know if there were any reputable discount sources online, etc.

Thanks!

Here’s a good reference to be sure you get the right filter - i like my clarathon one better than my oem one
Get some ahhsome too so you can purge since it sat unused.

Thanks @Mdragger88. I will look into that.

So I ran it without the filter overnight, to see if I could replicate the FL-1 error again.

When I inspected the tub this morning, temperature was fine and the waterfall was running as expected. Upon starting the jets however, The FL-1 error returned basically as soon as I turned on the low setting on pump 1. This is without the filter in place.

I tried to reset the breaker without success.

When I put my hand near the water intake for the filter, I feel good suction.

At this point it's very unclear to me what's going on. My thoughts are it's probably a bad circulation pump, in the process of failing?

But if that were the case, I don't really understand why it's intermittent. I also feel like I probably shouldn't feel suction at the intake?

Last, it seems weird to me that it seems to trigger when I turn on the number one pump.

Anyone have any other thoughts before we start replacing parts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.