Sonos!!!

Love me some sonos. They are having a killer deal right now on the play 1s.

I highly suggest for those with the new Alexa system to get on the beta testing program. I personally took back the alexa play 1 and got a steal on another play 3.

210 for an open box. I couldn't beat it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the best buy link. Must sign in to get the 150 price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonos-play1-wireless-speaker-for-streaming-music-black/1648801.p?loc=40275774cee711e7a2f612735a8b63a50INT&acampID=40275774cee711e7a2f612735a8b63a50INT&ref=8575135

This thread has so much information and comic relief I feel like I should just start every day with re-reading the entire thing. Thanks to all of you who continue to educate the TFP world and developing the best options for a poolside paradise.

Is there a way that you can hook up a separate Alexa to the Connect: Amp? I have neither, but I am thinking about options surrounding this.

I am a total Sonos fan and a beta tester for there systems. Yes the need to be plugged in but the system works and works extremely well! I started with one speaker and now we have them all over the house. No I don't get paid for any of this but I get to see things/features in advance. It took me 3 years to get here but I am totally hooked on the functionality and sound quality.

Two play bars with bass units in family and media rooms
Two play 1 surrounds in media
Two play 1's in the office
A Sonos One in bedroom (I use Alexa with this one to play music in different rooms and to turn lights on and off)
A play 1 in the master bath
A sonos connect amp to drive the patio speakers

I also have an Echo in the kitchen which will also play music in different rooms on the sonos speakers

An echo dot in the kids room (our 3 year old tells Alexa to play different music :) )

Lights in 3 rooms and outside powered by Wink hub and lights which are controlled via Alexa and the Sonos One

The Sonos app is awesome!

Trying to figure out what i need exactly. 4 speakers total. thinking of 3 sonos3’s and an outdoor rock speaker for behind the pool on the slope near the palm trees. I think that setup would make it very nice. But how would i incorporate the rock speaker into the system? Thanks guys.

140awjb.jpg

I am hoping that someone else comments on this that can give you better explanation. I am still trying to decide how to complete my setup and am looking into something similar (with a mixture of wireless/wired speakers). However, what I believe you need would be a receiver of your choosing for your amplifier. You would hard-wire the three speakers to said receiver. For the wireless rock speakers, they usually come with a transmitter that I believe you will plug into the receiver (either by audio out or by headphone line out). That should get you set up. I have seen some complaints that the wireless/Bluetooth speakers will sometimes lag behind the wired speakers, but I do not know if that is a real problem or not. In order to get some pairing with your phone, you would probably want to plug the sonos connect to the receiver. Your phone would then play through it. There are receivers that have airplay and/or bluetooth though, so if you spend a little more for one of those speakers, you may not need the sonos (unless you wanted to integrate other options that sonos provides.
Another option would be to us the sonos connect:amp instead of a different receiver. The only issue may be whether it has enough power to supply each of the speakers. I believe the previous discussions were surrounding 4 speakers and running them in parallel. I believe that this would work for you too - depending on ohms. The wireless speaker still has a transmitter that would be plugged into whatever amp/receiver you choose. So although it is wireless (no wires going to the speaker, there is usually still the wired input from the transmitter to the receiver/amp.

I hope someone will correct me on any and all of my incorrect information above as I don't want to lead you awry. But I figured I would try to help with the limited info I have based on my research and trying to absorb in this forum as much as I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One Sonos Amp is designed for (1) pair of speakers but I have heard of folks connecting (2) pairs to one unit.

I have multiple Sonos Connect:Amp units powering speaker pairs in various rooms of my home and outdoor patio. In our kitchen we have four in ceiling speakers running off a single C:Amp unit and it’s great. As said early in this thread, the key is the impedance “ohm rating” of the speakers you want to use. I believe my speakers are Triad silver inceiling sealed rounds that are 8ohm rated.

I have had Sono's inside for several years. Going to pick up some Rock Speakers and the Connect Amp for our soon to be completed pool because I love the product lots. :)

Anyone have the Connect Amp placed outside? What kind of enclosure? I am in AZ so water and humidity are not much of an issue, but heat is obviously. Looking to get two of these for the Rock Speakers;

Klipsch AWR-650-SM Indoor/Outdoor Speaker - Granite (Each)

Amazon.com: Klipsch AWR-650-SM Indoor/Outdoor Speaker - Granite (Each): Home Audio Theater

Much Thanks All!

Also, let's see some pictures of everyone's outside audio solutions!

aham23...I have speakers mounted on the patio and my Connect Amp is in a cabinet inside the house. I have no issues but again that's inside the home. I would think you will be fine as long as its not anywhere near direct sunlight and outside elements. I also love the Sonos products...they now sell select Sonos products at Costco!!

That is what I am thinking. I did find a company that sells fancy enclosures made the connect as well. Honestly it might fit in my pool equipment cabinet as that thing has a lot of dead space at the bottom. Think I have my plan down that will include two more Play 1s too. Another for inside the house and one on the covered patio. That will give us a patio zone we can control seperate from the rock speakers. Keep it down low for those late night pool side chilling! Getting those from Costco for sure!!

That is what I am thinking. I did find a company that sells fancy enclosures made the connect as well. Honestly it might fit in my pool equipment cabinet as that thing has a lot of dead space at the bottom. Think I have my plan down that will include two more Play 1s too. Another for inside the house and one on the covered patio. That will give us a patio zone we can control seperate from the rock speakers. Keep it down low for those late night pool side chilling! Getting those from Costco for sure!!

if u want an incloser to prevent sunlight buy a leviton structured wire cabinet and ziptie mount them inside. they have a ton of holes on the back wall and u can ru nthe wires neatly in there.

IMG_1562 by Jim, on Flickr
there is a small one. u can get an extention to make it deeper.

here is a pic of one of my network ones with the extension.
see how it is deeper.
Untitled by Jim, on Flickr

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr
inside

the small ones have the extension also.

they aren't water tight just so u know.

I had to pull out my 9 year old sonos player cause nuvo’s old media server isn’t supported by Spotify anymore. When they came out with thier sonos competitor profile system they gave up on the grand concerto which is rock solid btw. We have them installed in countless homes and have never had a call back but the world wants wireless movable units now for retrofit so they shifted. So now I have a 3 grand media player thst I use for app control only now and I use the sonos for the streaming. My outdoor 3 sones r the new profile system but my inside 12 zones r on the grand concerto and I’m not pumping that system till it does then I will make the whole home profile from Nuvo. It’s kinda upsetting but it’s whole again. I do mix not having complete control on my keypads cause I really don’t like carrying a phone or iPad around especially when in the bathroom if I’m using the sauna or showering. But it’s a fix. I will say thst little sonos player is rock solid. Been boxed for years and years. Pulled it out updated it and it still found all my iPads and iPhone with my email. Pretty quick.

4B9CCBC0-FE3D-42CF-9FE1-182A131096E8.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.