Solar reel for 32x16 pool

Here is one, I do not know how good it is :)

I have this one on my 27' round pool.

I think I got it at INYO pools, but it is the same product. You could go with a smaller one to cross your 16' width.

Now, this cover is meant to bolt to the top rails of the pool, and clearly your Intex is not going to support that.

What you can do is bury a 4x4 post on each side of the pool, maybe 6" or so away from the sides, level with the top of your pool, and attach the end mounts to that.

In fact that is what I did in a separate part of my yard. Since I have a round pool, the cover reel goes right across the middle of my pool. I have two 4x4 posts off to the side of my yard. I roll up the cover, pivot one end of the reel to one post, and then the other end to the other post. I have 8' posts buried about 4' into the ground, and they are just fine. In fact over the winter my cover lives on those posts, wrapped up in a tarp, and trussed up like a giant sausage in my yard.

The sections of aluminum tube are held together by drilling a hole, inserting a rubber plug, and then tightening a bolt into the plug, expanding it. Those lasted about 2 years and then started falling out (it does not cause the reel to fall apart, just allows it to possible expand when you are swinging it). I bought some stainless steel carriage bolts and nylock nuts and used those to replace the rubber plugs. I am still happy with how it has been working.

I did something similar but not as fancy as the above poster (looks nice though @cowboycasey !) I got two 5 gallon buckets, 2 backs of concrete, two 2x4's an "in ground" solar reel, and wooden yard stakes. I set the 2x4's in the buckets with concrete, mounted the solar reel on the 2x4's at slightly above the height of the pool, then drove wooden stakes around the buckets to ensure they wouldn't topple over in heavy winds just to be safe. All of this is fairly hidden as my pool is against a fence line.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
Also Intex makes one for these pools that mounts onto the frame but the reviews I've seen aren't great. I have no experience with them though.

One tip. Most reels are adjustable in length. When you set yours up, make it about a foot wider than the pool. I originally made mine the same width as the pool and this gave me a lot of grief in that the cover doesn't always roll up perfectly centered, and you will end up unrolling/rerolling numerous times to get it rolled up properly if there is not extra width for when it doesn't roll up perfectly even, which is almost never from my experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.