nestor88

Sep 18, 2022
Roseville, CA
Hi Pool People!

New member and pool owner here. I have an in ground pool that came with a solar pool heater. I had a pool guy turn it on for me but he ended up being kind of unreliable so I ended up discontinuing his services and decided to do the pool myself using this forum. So far all of that has worked out really well. My question now is I am closing up my pool (covering). I wanted to shut off the solar heater so that I can lower the pool pump speeds but I am not sure how. I posted a few pictures of my set up. The main picture is numbered 1-5. Number 1 is currently shut off but I am not sure if I need to shut off additional valves in order for water to stop going up the pipes to the panels or if that is all that is needed. Just for reference I posted a pic of the pump that leads to the roof from the pump. Its the black pipe or #5 in the main picture. Please let me know if more info or pics are needed. Can anyone tell by looking at the pictures what should be done to completely stop water from going up to the panels and only from pump to pool? Thank you all!

Attachments

• Valves.jpg
    Valves.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • Pipes going to roof.jpg
    Pipes going to roof.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Solar Pipe.jpg
    Solar Pipe.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 20
Hi Pool People!

New member and pool owner here. I have an in ground pool that came with a solar pool heater. I had a pool guy turn it on for me but he ended up being kind of unreliable so I ended up discontinuing his services and decided to do the pool myself using this forum. So far all of that has worked out really well. My question now is I am closing up my pool (covering). I wanted to shut off the solar heater so that I can lower the pool pump speeds but I am not sure how. I posted a few pictures of my set up. The main picture is numbered 1-5. Number 1 is currently shut off but I am not sure if I need to shut off additional valves in order for water to stop going up the pipes to the panels or if that is all that is needed. Just for reference I posted a pic of the pump that leads to the roof from the pump. Its the black pipe or #5 in the main picture. Please let me know if more info or pics are needed. Can anyone tell by looking at the pictures what should be done to completely stop water from going up to the panels and only from pump to pool? Thank you all!
Without seeing the whole system, it looks like closing 2 and 3 will do what you want.

I added some more pictures. The thick black pipe goes to the solar panels. See pictures. If you see from pic 2 the black pipe goes towards panels and the other one goes into the ground but I'm not sure where. Picture 3 faces the pool which is covered. Pic 5 shows the black pipe and the pipes going up the house to the roof. Hope this helps. Just as an FYI #1 in the original post was the main valve solar which is currently off.

Attachments

• 20220918_172656.jpg
    20220918_172656.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220918_172702.jpg
    20220918_172702.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220918_172710.jpg
    20220918_172710.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220918_172728.jpg
    20220918_172728.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220918_172738.jpg
    20220918_172738.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 7
I added some more pictures. The thick black pipe goes to the solar panels. See pictures. If you see from pic 2 the black pipe goes towards panels and the other one goes into the ground but I'm not sure where. Picture 3 faces the pool which is covered. Pic 5 shows the black pipe and the pipes going up the house to the roof. Hope this helps. Just as an FYI #1 in the original post was the main valve solar which is currently off.
Close valves 2 and 3. Turn solar heat off in the automation. Take note of the position of the small toggle switch on the solar-valve actuator (this is the default position) and set it to the middle position. It is a 3-position toggle. Return it to default when the solar is again activated in the automation. Open valves 2 and 3 when solar is again activated, this is very important.

Also to confirm valve 2 and 3 both go to solar and not the pool right? I don't want the pump to run and have nowhere to push the water and somehow burst or something. Again I am very new to all this so I really appreciate your help
Two and three are "solar isolation" valves that need to be off (closed) in the winter. They are in the solar supply and return lines. Need to be opened when the solar is activated or you will have problems. Number 4 is a solar bypass. Being closed, it allows all water flow to go up to the solar system. Just leave it the way it is. There is a process to making an adjustment to that valve, but it usually involves either a lot of climbing onto and off of the roof or two people. That's an "old style," but very good way to install solar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.