So confused.

The time log has a known issue. It is still in correct order.

It is not expected that your FC will test at SLAM level FC after several hours until you are at the final stages of the SLAM process.

I ran out of jugs of bleach so I used the Triclor that I had on hand this morning. I believe that Triclor isn't ideal, so I am hoping that I havent messed anything up. I can now smell the chlorine in the pool. Is it possible that the bleach that I have been using from Dollar General may not be the proper strenght? It just doesn't smell hardly at all when I open it. But it is labled 6%. Pool is still pea green color.

Attachments

• IMG_9794.JPG
    IMG_9794.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 6
Trichlor adds CYA. So account for that in your SLAM level FC.

You are better off getting liquid chlorine at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. dollar store stuff is not reliable.

If our water wasn't so awful I would consider going back to a SWG. Even after I get this lined out, we travel so much I don't see me being able to monitor the chlorine every day.:(:unsure:. This is my first year to do regular chlorine.

That’s right. Those characteristics are a challenge.

I would think an automated system for liquid chlorine and muriatic acid would be your best option.

Reactions: Flynnranch

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool we have was originally set up with a SWG. It was painful keeping the cell clean, as our water is really high in calcium and it would need regular cleaning. Last year the ants got into the SWG control box and fried it. At the time I was extremely frustrated and decided just to go the straight chlorine route. Well staying on top to of the Algea is a nightmare as we travel often and not once this year can I say that the pool was crystal clear. I have been doing SLAM for over a week now, and although I can see a tiny bit of improvement, as slow as it is going I am going to be be at it for another two weeks In hindsight, I should have just drained the pool, scrubbed it and started fresh, saving a lot of money. I am seriously thinking of going back to the SWG and dealing with cleaning the cell. Any thoughts or advice on any of this? We had the Hayward Aqua Rite system. Thanks in advance!

Wow! If you have been SLAMming over a week and making almost no progress you are not doing it correctly.

Draining the pool does little if you don't change how you are maintaining the chemistry......your pool will just return to it's prior condition

Can you post some test results that are current?

Wow! If you have been SLAMming over a week and making almost no progress you are not doing it correctly.

Draining the pool does little if you don't change how you are maintaining the chemistry......your pool will just return to it's prior condition

Can you post some test results that are current?
I was posting my progress in another forum. I haven’t had time to test today, other days it has been as often as every couple of hours. Not sure if you can see my logs at all?

I was wondering if you had time to look at my logs at all?
Yes. You are simply not bring FC up to SLAM value (20 ppm with a CYA of 50). You must follow the SLAM article to a T for it to work. That means replenishing your FC to 20 ppm (no less) each time you test.....which shold be about 2-3 times daily.

You should see some improvement daily.

OK, I have actually been going over the recommended amount each time to try to speed it up. I guess I will just add even more to see if I can speed things up a bit. Do you have any thoughts on changing to the SWG? I am not here enough to manage a straight up chlorine pool. (we travel a lot )It was also suggested that I do the liquid chlorine and muriatic acid approach. I just know that with the SWG, you could actually see the bottom of the pool, whereas it has been green all this season. Apart form the cell needing to be cleaned regularly is there any other reason that I shouldn't go back to salt water? Thanks so much.

Any pool can be kept crystal clear with liquid chlorine or an SWG. If you want the SWG, you should stop the SLAM now and get one.

Why have you been going over the recommended amount? That is hardly following the directions to a T as I suggested in my last post. Reading between the lines, it sounds like this whole liquid chlorine thing is not something in which you are very interested. That's fine......I love SWG's......I think you should probably get one

It is hard to advise you on a SLAM when all your questions are on another subject. Not meaning to be harsh but being quite honest.

Any pool can be kept crystal clear with liquid chlorine or an SWG. If you want the SWG, you should stop the SLAM now and get one.

Why have you been going over the recommended amount? That is hardly following the directions to a T as I suggested in my last post. Reading between the lines, it sounds like this whole liquid chlorine thing is not something in which you are very interested. That's fine......I love SWG's......I think you should probably get one

It is hard to advise you on a SLAM when all your questions are on another subject. Not meaning to be harsh but being quite honest.
I have burnt through a fair amount of money doing the SLAM, by following the directions to a “T”, when I was getting nowhere, I went above the recommended amount, for maybe two days. And if you had looked at the times on the log you will have noticed that I went above and beyond the amount of times per day to do it. I am at a loss as to what to do and was asking for some help regarding my situation with this pool in stinking hot Texas weather. I’m sorry if I have wasted your time, I hope you feel good about yourself. I am simply a mother trying to get something good going for her family. And ALL of my questions have been pertaining to trying to achieve one goal. Get my pool clear and be able to MAINTAIN it.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.