So confused.

What test kit did you get? Add it to your signature.

Just test the water as is and post the results.

Reactions: Flynnranch
So I am sitting in front of my beautiful new kit. Taylor k-2006c. And have not a clue where to start. I looked through the booklet, way too many numbers for my head. Wish me luck, I’m. I no dummy but this is going to take a bit to get the hang of it!

Ok, so I did the test to the best of my ability for the first time!
I am going to let you know the drops added as well as what I came up with to see if I am on the right track. Bear with me.
Chlorine 0
PH added 4 drops to bring it to 7.6
ALK using 25ml, it took 26 drops to change the color
CAL 10ml test, it took 25 drops to change to blue, but it kind of got purple for the couple of drops before blue, if that makes any difference.
CYA to block out the black dot, it got to about 44.

Pool is nice and green as I wasn't here every day to add the chlorine, and it is raining right now. Hope some of this helps!

Great.
pH test needs 4 or 5 drops. Match the color. 7.6 if fine.
TA equates to 260 ppm. That will come down as you manage your pH.
CH test equates to 625 ppm. That is going to become problematic if it rises further. Your high TA and this CH level can lead to scaling.
CYA is rounded up, so that is a CYA of 50.

What is your fill water TA and CH? Test it. How often do you add fill water due to evaporation?

Great.
pH test needs 4 or 5 drops. Match the color. 7.6 if fine.
TA equates to 260 ppm. That will come down as you manage your pH.
CH test equates to 625 ppm. That is going to become problematic if it rises further. Your high TA and this CH level can lead to scaling.
CYA is rounded up, so that is a CYA of 50.

What is your fill water TA and CH? Test it. How often do you add fill water due to evaporation?
Im sorry, what does this mean? (Fill water TA and CH?) I probably fill it about once a month, but I have been battling with so much algae this year it has been a waayyy more regular occurrence.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im sorry, what does this mean? (Fill water TA and CH?) I probably fill it about once a month, but I have been battling with so much algae this year it has been a waayyy more regular occurrence.
This means test the water from your tap or well for total alkalynity TA and calcium hardness CH. Thus allows you to estimate the effects of adding your fill water to your pool water.

That is challenging fill water.

With evaporation, your CH will rise and your acid consumption will be high to manage your pH.

Use rain water as much as possible to refill the pool.

Do you have a water softener for your home? Any chance of using it for make up water for the pool?

2 1/2" of rain is not all that much unless you can drain down a foot or more of the pool volume and refill it with captured rain.

You will have a challenge to keep scale from forming. With vinyl, it is less drastic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.