Slow growing green algae despite good numbers!

Thanks for the help, everyone! SLAM is over, filters cleaned, and pool looks clear for now!
  • I am ending my SLAM and running the pool as normal, will retest levels on Friday, while adding a bit of Muriatic Acid every other day to compensate for the SWG being on so long.
  • I have been bunkered in due to COVID and SLAM'd using the SWG (my pool is 8.7k gal but my SWG is setup for 45K, so it wasn't that hard to do). In normal times, I will definitely use liquid chlorine.
  • I have ordered some more 0871 reagent as that 2 oz bottle went fast! Got a 16 oz bottle coming and will retest things on Friday. For now the pool looks clear.

Measure DateSaltFCCCTCpHCYATACalciumNotes
Thursday, August 20, 2020​
31.5​
8.0​
SuperChlor now at SLAM levels. Algae still present. Scrubbed algae off the sides. Added another half gallon of MA.
Friday, August 21, 2020​
--
29.0​
------------SuperChlor setting ran out and half day in sun running at normal production. Haven't used liquid chlorine (need to buy) trying to SLAM with SWG at full blast. Left SWG at SuperChlor levels on all night. Will start overnight loss test on Sunday.
Saturday, August 22, 2020​
--
34.5​
------------Left SWG on SuperChlor level all night for past 3 nights. FC at shock levels in AM. Will leave superchlor setting through evening and then turn off SWG (but leave pump on) all night to see if there is any overnight FC loss.
Sunday, August 23, 2020​
--
32.0​
0.032.0--------Saturday night 8 pm reading was 32 FC. Left the pump on but turning off SWG and reading in am was 32 FC (no FC loss) and no CC. Adding in MA (6 Cups) to compensate for full blast SWG during SLAM process (raises pH as well). Continued SLAM until Mon Morning.
Monday, August 24, 2020​
--
34.0​
0.034.0--------Stopped SuperChlor SWG setting mid morning. Cleaned filters and will start following normal SWG schedule. Will add 3 Cups MA every other day and retest on Friday.

You may want to wait on the MA as you will not get a good PH test until your FC gets below 10... You don't want to crash your PH :)
Fair point. Prior to the SLAM process my pH was always pushing above 8 even after putting 6 gallons of MA in my 8.75 k gallon pool over the course of a month. I also add about 2 inches of water every week, which is high pH. I did add some MA during the SLAM process, so it won't hurt to wait until FC goes below 10 to take stock. Appreciate the reminder!

Reactions: cowboycasey
What is your TA? If you can get it into the 50 to 60 range it "may" use less but it sounds like you are all over it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.