Slammin success

I have opened up our pool without a pool company going armed only with the knowledge gained from this forum. I was nervous. I purchased a good test kit and read everything available on Pool School. I took the cover off and the water was a brownish green and full of dirt so I spent the first couple of days just brushing and vacuuming until most of the dirt was gone. I then slammed the pool to a FC of 28 (yikes) and kept it up for 3 days until I finally passed OCLT. I added salt, cyanuric acid and dropped the ph from 7.8. The water is crystal clear and all chemistry almost bang on with the exception of the ta and the cya.

ph - 7.4
fc - 1.0
ta - 160
ch - 150
cya - 30
salt - 3000
csi - -0.19
temp - 78

I’ve read on the internet and watched videos saying that the cya shouldn’t go over 30. Pool school says 70. Why the difference of 40 ppm?

I purchased Pool Math which was a pretty wise decision. Thanks for all the info and help.

Doug

SWGs add chlorine very slowly, so they can use the added protection from the sun that the higher CYA level provides.

Perhaps this is not quite as big of a deal way up there as it is from way down here :D

But, I would bump it up to at least 60ppm or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.