After adding chemicals yesterday my new numbers are: PH 9.6, CYA 20, FC .5.
The ph is going the wrong way. Should I add more muriatic acid? And the bleach didn't seem to do much.
The water did go from a swamp black to a dark green. And the frogs did not return.

Bill,

I've never heard of the TF-50, so I did a search and found references as late as 2014 to a smaller sized TF-100. I'm guessing your reagents are very old and are providing inaccurate results.

I'm not familiar with the pH tester you have, but it's unlikely your TA is 0 with a pH of 9.6.

Pool store tests are unreliable. You need to invest in one of the recommended test kits (Test Kits Compared) before moving forward with the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bring the pH back down. Add half the acid you think you need, test pH and TA again. Are you sure the pH meter is calibrated?

Have you had any discernible FC reading at all yet?

Should I continue to lower the PH by adding muriatic acid?
If your FC is over 10 ppm, don't bother. The pH reading will not be accurate with an elevated FC. I suspect you are still doing the SLAM Process, so just focus on that for now. However, if your FC is currently under 10 ppm and you want to test/adjust the pH to about 7.2, that is fine. Just be sure your pH testing method is accurate.

If your FC is over 10 ppm, don't bother. The pH reading will not be accurate with an elevated FC. I suspect you are still doing the SLAM Process, so just focus on that for now. However, if your FC is currently under 10 ppm and you want to test/adjust the pH to about 7.2, that is fine. Just be sure your pH testing method is accurate.
Right now my FC is .5 and I haven't started the slam because my PH is so high at 8.5 and CYA at 20. What is a good method
for testing PH?

Right now my FC is .5 and I haven't started the slam because my PH is so high at 8.5 and CYA at 20. What is a good method
for testing PH?
Use the comparator block in the kit and the reagent R0013, phenol red.

Bring your CYA up to 30 carefully, by adding half what PoolMath says to add.

Add 3 ppm FC daily until you have your pH at 7.2 and CYA at 30, then start your SLAM Process.

Latest PH 7.6 and FC 1
Bill, I want to make sure that's not a typo. Is your FC only 1.0? If so, is there a reason you are letting it fall so low? Are you not increasing the FC until you get the pH down to about 7.2 for the SLAM Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.