Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello. Starting off my 3rd pool season with a slam. Have done this each season. I feel like this season is progressing slower than the other 2. Wondering if I should increase chlorine a bit?

Cya 30
Keeping FC at slam level 12
PH lowered to 7.2 before I started.
CC .5
AK 60
Calcium 60

Pictures are to show day we opened and where we are today. The deep end is taking its sweet time. I’ve turned the SWG off. We have a sand filter. Brushing everyday. Running beta for the top skim and robot vacuum. Backwashing 1x every 1-2 days. Any other advice? Thank you.IMG_2352.jpegIMG_2191.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
How often are you dosing ? Take advantage of the long weekend and hit it often. Top it off every 2 hours and go right until bed time.
I’m checking the levels every 3 hours or so. And first thing in the morning. I’m at a point where the FC is almost maintaining.

Reactions: Diane e and newdude
You are mid slam from the picture. You should backwash and note filter pressure. when it rises 25%, backwash again. That should help filtering.
My husband has been backwashing every other day. It typically doesn’t go past 25% until we hit day 2.

Reactions: newdude
If you have a 2 speed or variable speed pump, check your pressure while running the pump on high speed. It takes longer to see a pressure rise when you run at low speed.

Filtering at low speed it better, it catches more. But you should run the pump up every couple hours to check pressure rise.

Last edited:
Day 8 of slam. Pool has maintained slam chlorine level of 12 FC for over 24 hours. Any benefit to spiking the chlorine higher? Not a lot of change in color of pool.

Sand filters take the longest to clear pools.

You might consider adding POOL DE to your filter.

Reactions: newdude

Typically backwashing once a day, even if it doesn’t necessarily call for it.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We’ve been running our dolphin robot once daily and have the beta skimmer. Should I also use the manual vaccine as well?

The dolphin should be fine. You can run it constantly.

What dolphin you you have (model) and what filter on the dolphin?
Dolphin M400

Also here’s a picture of our valve settings. Does this look appropriate? Day 9 of slam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Day 9 of the slam. Figured it might be easier to start a new thread. Started with cya of 30 and was maintaining 12 FC. Had lowered PH to 7.2 before I started. Filter is running 24/7 since we opened. Backwashing daily. Dolphin running 1-2x a day. Brushing 2x a day. Certainly improvement from the green swamp when we opened it. Concerned as other slam posts seem to turn pools to blue a lot faster than we’re were at.

Want to make sure valve position is correct. Also, we haven’t vacuumed to waste. Is that something we should do? Season 3 with the pool. First year it took me 4 days to get slam to work. Just frustrating!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 23
Concerned as other slam posts seem to turn pools to blue a lot faster than we’re were at.
Very difficult to compare your results with others. Each pool is different. Stay consistent with testing/FC levels and vigilant with inspecting & cleaning. It will get better.

Any need to vacuum to waste or add DE?
Not that I can tell. No junk in the bottom of the pool right? I wouldn't consider DE until I passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and knew for sure the only last thing holding me back was a "slight" cloudy water from suspended material (dead algae).

Not that I can tell. No junk in the bottom of the pool right? I wouldn't consider DE until I passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and knew for sure the only last thing holding me back was a "slight" cloudy water from suspended material (dead algae).
Nothing at the bottom! I do think that mustard algae is popping up though. I’ve been brushing and brushing.

Still brushing and yellow stuff is kicking up. Anything additional to be done if it’s mustard algae? Should I also look to recheck CYA and raise potentially. It’s been 10 days of slamming and we’ve had some hot sunny days up here in MA.

Last edited:
Anything additional to be done if it’s mustard algae.
No, not at the moment. Don't rule out pollen either. It's been really bad in parts of the country. But continue the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 criteria. Inspect, clean & repeat. Once you pass all 3 criteria, only then "IF" there is a belief that you have Mustard Algae, only then would you increase teh FC to MA levels for 24 hrs only. But not now. At this time, it's still the SLAM process.

Not a bad idea to cofirm the CYA. If it changed, adjust your FC accordingly. Refer to the FC/CYA Levels. If the CYA dropped below 30, certainly increase it back to about 30 which requires an FC of 12. If the CYA is closer to 40, maintain the FC of 16.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support