Skimmer sock - yuck

Apr 9, 2013
That was brand new and white less than 24 hours ago.. so glad we use these. No idea what all that brown stuff is, it’s fibrous though…feels like pulp when we clean it. Pools clean and balanced.
B5D7D032-9C9D-4488-973E-4FE4038D2EB4.jpeg

Reactions: borjis
I do not use them and have never saw a need for them. Once a month or so I backwash my 250lb sand filter when the pressure goes up a few psi and the water stays crystal clear. I run the pump in low speed all summer.

Im sure every situation is different and it depends on what's falling in the pool but if my filter isn't complaining I'm not fixing what's not broke.

If it's working for you and fixing a problem you had without them keep it going. How do you clean them?

I do not use them and have never saw a need for them. Once a month or so I backwash my 250lb sand filter when the pressure goes up a few psi and the water stays crystal clear. I run the pump in low speed all summer.

Im sure every situation is different and it depends on what's falling in the pool but if my filter isn't complaining I'm not fixing what's not broke.

If it's working for you and fixing a problem you had without them keep it going. How do you clean them?
I felt that way until I started using a hair net last year after being a pool owner for 25 years. It catches a lot more stuff then I even imagined. They are/were ( before Covad ) dirt cheap so throw away and replace it.

Reactions: aussieta
I felt that way until I started using a hair net last year after being a pool owner for 25 years. It catches a lot more stuff then I even imagined. They are/were ( before Covad ) dirt cheap so throw away and replace it.

If the filter catches it and blows it out when I backwash why would it matter?

when you backwash you lose your chemicals
chemicals cost money
hairnets are reasonably cheap
socks reduce how often you need to backwash

I almost always backwash when lowering the pool level after rain so I'd be losing the water anyway.

I'm sure that's not the case in hotter areas but it works for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those work very well when using intex type pumps and filters. I want to upgrade pump and filter for my little intex pool, but cant afford it, so these work wonders to extend time between filter cleanings from once a day or 2 to around a week by catching a lot of junk. Worth the 10 bucks i spent last year for 12 last year on them thats for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.