Skimmer hose failed, pump ran dry. Pump leak and low filter pressure.

Harmygeddon

Mar 2, 2021
NJ
Hi Guys!

I have a Hayward EC50 DE filter and 1.5HP Hayward Matrix Pump. The hose from my skimmer to my pump failed over night and my pump ran dry - I'm not sure exactly how long but could have been up to 4 hours. I replaced the hose and filled the pool. Now I'm getting a leak under the pump. Also, my filter pressure is very low and my pump isn't fully priming. It usually runs around 13psi and now is running at only 8psi. I searched and it seems that I should replace the shaft seal, but I'm not sure if there is other things I should be checking? Could the shaft seal cause the low water pressure and priming issue?

Hi Guys!

I have a Hayward EC50 DE filter and 1.5HP Hayward Matrix Pump. The hose from my skimmer to my pump failed over night and my pump ran dry - I'm not sure exactly how long but could have been up to 4 hours. I replaced the hose and filled the pool. Now I'm getting a leak under the pump. Also, my filter pressure is very low and my pump isn't fully priming. It usually runs around 13psi and now is running at only 8psi. I searched and it seems that I should replace the shaft seal, but I'm not sure if there is other things I should be checking? Could the shaft seal cause the low water pressure and priming issue?
This is really old second hand info but it's the best I can give.
Sometime around 1984 my dad had a Hayward Powerflo pump run dry. That pump was very similar to yours, in fact it likely shares parts.

He had to replace the spring seal, impeller and the rear pump housing that bolts to the motor.

I would say the only way you're going to find out is to pull the pump apart and see what's physically damaged but I'm betting you'll find similar results.

Thanks CJ! After further inspection the entire wet side of the pump was pretty much shot. The basket and impeller were melted. Everything else was badly warped. I bought everything this season and the retailer that I purchased the pump replaced it at no charge. They were super helpful!

Reactions: cj133
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.