Should I upgrade to a liquid chlorine feeder?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
Might not be the right thread for this. Mods, feel free to move it.

I'm on my second failed Hayward salt cell in 5 years, and I'm beginning to seriously question whether salt water is worth it. It's cost-effective in theory, but having two cells fail in 5 years kinda kills that theory. Peristaltic pumps are about the same price as a salt cell, so I'm considering moving to liquid chlorine. Also not having to constantly add muriatic would be nice.

For those of you who use a liquid chlorine system, have you found the upgrade to be worth it?

Might not be the right thread for this. Mods, feel free to move it.

I'm on my second failed Hayward salt cell in 5 years, and I'm beginning to seriously question whether salt water is worth it. It's cost-effective in theory, but having two cells fail in 5 years kinda kills that theory. Peristaltic pumps are about the same price as a salt cell, so I'm considering moving to liquid chlorine. Also not having to constantly add muriatic would be nice.

For those of you who use a liquid chlorine system, have you found the upgrade to be worth it?
Have you investigated why the cells are failing? They should last 5 years easily assuming the water quality is maintained. You might try switching to a circupool if Hayward quality isn’t great.

Side note, the pH rise is about the same for both liquid and salt chlorinators. If it’s rising fast, you probably have other items like high TA or water features contributing to the pH rise.

First 7 of serial is 1E20038
This indicates that you bought a cell from an unauthorized dealer and there might have been a problem with the cell.

The serial number starting with 1 is a warranty replacement cell.

I suspect that you got a used cell from eBay or some sketchy seller.

A legitimate seller will sell a cell with a 3 at the beginning of the serial number.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjt
Drew,

Moving from a SWCG to a Chlorine Feeder is not an "upgrade" in my opinion. :mrgreen:

Most salt cells last 5 to 7 years. I've been through three of them. One lasted over 9 years, one over 7 years and one lasted over 5 years.

Worst case, at a $1,000 bucks for the replacement cell, that is $200 bucks a year..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been over a year, so I don't think I can file a dispute with Visa
Look into the details of your card plan. Many times they add a year after the factory warranty expires. Mine stopped offering it at some point, which I only found out when I thought about possibly using it in a similar situation. Keep the knowledge in your back pocket if Hayward doesn't do the right thing.

Sooooo many things went to crud the last few years. Companies were scrambling to get merch out, even if it was wrong or defective. My Sta-Right filter came with the wrong cartridges from the factory.

Another possibility is that someone purchased a 3 year warranty cell and returned their repacent cell. The stock clerk would have opened up the box to verify it was unused and never known the difference.

Reactions: KJB1

It does not look like the business is registered with the city or state, which is suspicious.

Seems like they get a lot of bad reviews.

Also, in my opinion, if a business sees that you're a TFP supporter, they know that you are not just some regular person that they can cheat and get away with it....just sayin.

Reactions: newdude
The economics are very different today with liquid chlorine now 300-400% higher than before the pandemic. with those prices, a salt system will likely pay for itself over it’s lifespan of the equipment. Also there are some aftermarket brands that do well and are way cheaper than those offered by the the OEM manufacturers.

with those prices, a salt system will likely pay for itself over it’s lifespan of the equipment.
It already did before. My unit had a return on investment over 2X. Then chlorine spiked and now it's probably 4X. SWGs had gone up in price also, but 30% and not 300%

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.