Should I hire an electrician for my pump?

davecate

Jul 12, 2020
Swannanoa NC
Our electrical setup in our backyard is not ideal for a pool, but it's the only place we can put the pool. I read a lot online about how it's a bad idea to plug your pump into a shared outlet from the house using an extension cord.

Is this really a bad idea? Should I bite the bullet and hire an electrician to setup a dedicated outlet for the pump? I don't have much more money to spare for the project. Any advice appreciated.

Depends on the pool pump you are getting and the quality of your house wiring. A pool pump using an extension cord is never recommended as the cord length will cause the voltage to drop and the pump to pull more than rated amps. A pool pump can max out a 15 amp circuit and anything else on the circuit can overload it. Running can electrical circuit near or over its rating can lead to overheating and at worse a fire.

The risks are real which is why electrical codes do not allow what you are thinking of doing.

Reactions: davecate
How big of a pump are we talking about? It should state on it what the max current draw is.

The pump absolutely should be plugged into a GFCI outlet or on a GFCI breaker.

It's a 1.5 horsepower pump, I am not sure what the max current draw is, I am still waiting on the pool and the accessories to be delivered. Trying to figure out what to do about electrical in the meantime.

1.5 HP will draw about 1,500 watts which is the max load on a 15 amp circuit.

Sorry, I'm not super well versed in electrician talk - but from what I'm hearing I'll need a dedicated GCFI breaker for the pump that is not shared with anything else? Does that sound right?

Yes, it should be a 20amp GFCI breaker for a 1.5+HP pump.

What was failed to be noted is that you need to use at least a 12/2 gauge wire for a 20 amp circuit. In addition the maximum run should be 100 feet. As for location it should be no closer than 6' feet but no further than 20' feet from the outside of the pool wall. Also if I were you I would bury the cable incased in conduit (schd 40 in a minimal impact location, schd 80 in a high risk area) at least 18 inches deep. Since you are already pulling 1 circuit I would advise pulling a second just to have as a spare incase you need another circuit down the road.

Based upon the level of discussion it seemed @davecate will get an Electrician to do the wiring and cover those details.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.