Shocking

May 27, 2007
Atlanta
jj- I did mean soda.

duraleigh-all pool co's in town closed tomorrow. Will be Monday before I can get another test from the pool co. When I did the pool calc it said to add 960 oz (someone suggested it should have said 96). It was too dark out to test again tonight so I will try my test kit again tomorrow. You said adding 44lb of soda is that the same as borax? Borax is what I have been adding.

DH pumped all the leaves out so we added a little more water. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Happy Mothers Day to everyone!

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yeah, I meant borax...sorry for the confusion

Get a neighbor to test or get a cheapie ($6.00) pH tester. Something is just not right.

Hey Shannon,

I'm certainly not one of the Gurus or anything like that. Actually the pool I have came with the house and I learned two things real fast.

(1) Never trust the pool store results. I took my dark green water to two different pool stores and received two very different test results. Leslies would have me adding 8 lbs of stabilizer since according to them I had no CYA, and Warehouse Pool Supply would have sold me a ph reducer with algecide.

(2) It's nearly impossible to do anything productive or reactive without a good testing kit. I tried to get rid of my algie bloom by winging it with test strips and probably wasted at least $50 only to have the algie come back when I though it was gone.

I finally broke down and ordered a good testing kit (TF-100), and within four days cleaned up a pool which had been neglected since September 2007. The best advice I can offer from my meager experience is buy a good testing kit and trust your own results. I can only hope that all the chemical dumping before did not compromise the liner.

[Edit: jjparrish - Eye Breaks]