lisagazzara

Mar 21, 2024
New Hampshire
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am new to TFP, I want to stop using Sustain pool chemicals (because of the cost) and learn how to work with the chemicals on my own.

I have purchased the test kit. Does anyone know how many gallons of bleach I would need for the season? I live in NH and my season lasts about 15 weeks. Is shock the same thing as chlorine?

I would also like to know what is recommended product to buy for the stabilizer?

Are pucks better than liquid?

Any help would be appreciated.
Lisa

I am new to TFP, I want to stop using Sustain pool chemicals (because of the cost) and learn how to work with the chemicals on my own.

Welcome to TFP.

I have purchased the test kit.

Which one?

Does anyone know how many gallons of bleach I would need for the season? I live in NH and my season lasts about 15 weeks.

Your average daily Free chlorine (FC) loss is about 3ppm.

1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will give you about 14ppm of FC.

So 1 gallon will last about 4 days.

15 weeks = 105 days / 4 days per gallon = 26 or so 10% gallons of liquid chlorine.

Whether you buy it all at once or in two or three batches during the season check the date codes and make sure it is reasonably fresh. Store the liquid chlorine in a cool place.

Is shock the same thing as chlorine?

Shock is used in a few different ways with pool chemicals.

Chlorine comes in jugs labeled "Liquid Pool Shock".

I would also like to know what is recommended product to buy for the stabilizer?

All pool stabilizer is the same as long as it is 100% CYA.

Are pucks better than liquid?

No, definitely not!

Taylor K2005 is the test kit I bought.

The K-2005 is missing the FAS/DPD chlorine test that is needed for accurate chlorine testing. The K-2006/K-2006C kits include it.

It can be purchased separately - FAS/DPD Chlorine Test Kit