Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our neighbor's equipment getting stolen is causing me to re-evaluate my security setup. My equipment pad is on the side of the house and we physically cannot see it from the house or the pool. It is visible from the street through the wrought iron fence and would be an easy target since the criminals could see it, but is a blind spot for us in the house.

I locked the gates this evening as a deterrent, but was checking out security cameras too. I'm thinking battery powered wifi cameras, since that gives me flexibility to not be tied to a power plug. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with these? Blink, Arlo, Ring seem to be the popular models. Any other suggestions?

Our neighbor's equipment getting stolen is causing me to re-evaluate my security setup. My equipment pad is on the side of the house and we physically cannot see it from the house or the pool. It is visible from the street through the wrought iron fence and would be an easy target since the criminals could see it, but is a blind spot for us in the house.

I locked the gates this evening as a deterrent, but was checking out security cameras too. I'm thinking battery powered wifi cameras, since that gives me flexibility to not be tied to a power plug. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with these? Blink, Arlo, Ring seem to be the popular models. Any other suggestions?
I have Blink. They are inexpensive, easy to set up, reliable, and the batteries last for ages. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I have Blink. A friend loves his Wyze cam. They are similar and inexpensive to try.

Note that you will learn about all the four legged critters running around your property at night.

Put cameras around where thiefs are likely to enter your property so you get an early indication of them. Otherwise they can be in and gone before you realize what is happening.

Surveillance cameras will only give you a photo of an unidentifiable figure in a hoodie stealing your stuff. You want something that will scare them off before they have chance to get to work. Tweakers hate bright lights, loud noises, and barking dogs. Make sure your measures include one or two of those components. Post a "Beware of Dog" sign on the street side of the fence in front of the pool equipment. Motion activated sprinklers work well too, but you have to shut them off before you enter the area.

I’ve got a dirt cheap set of Eufy cameras tied into our HomeKit setup. Because we subscribe to iCloud and the Eufy camera's utilize HomeKit Secure Video clips will save automatically the clips. Additionally because they have motion detection we've got some programed to turn on lights automatically whenever they detect motion.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Post a "Beware of Dog" sign on the street side of the fence in front of the pool equipment.
The Beware of Dog signs are a bit off limits when you have a Bichon Frise

Note, this is a stock photo and my real dog doesn't look quite that ridiculous, but you get the point

1614910284218.png

A multi layered approach is always best.
Not sure how much property u have or if u have a place to aim one w/ out it being set off all the time but i have a chamberlain driveway alarm at the end of my long driveway so i have time to get aware/ prepared before someone is in my space. Its loud in my house where the base plugs in but the sensor is battery powered & I think i’ve had to change them twice in like 7 years. Its small, weather proof & can be mounted anywhere. The range is good as it’s 2 acres from the base. You can connect multiple sensors to one base with different tones for each.
I have a Wyze cam outdoor battery powered for my dog pen & battery life is pretty good. The new Wyze cam v3 has a siren & is outdoor rated but needs a power source. I have 2 regular ones inside “bird houses” mounted under my eaves.
I get good motion alerts on all mine.
i have 4 wyze & 2 Funlux outdoor cams. I put receptacles in some of my eaves near my existing motion lights accommodate them. When the light comes on the cams send the alert. Mine record all the time & store it on an internal sd card.

Thanks. I’m in a stereotypical suburban neighborhood with small yards. We get lots of foot traffic on our sidewalk due to being a few houses away from a school and the community pool a few houses in the other direction so I’ll have to manage the motion detection sensitivity/zones.

I’m leaning towards blink or Wyse at this point.

WYZE. All the way. I have 8 of them, and love them. Just got their doorbell also, and it’s fantastic as well. I have had multiple other systems and this is the cheapest and best I have owned. Can’t often say that...

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If u go wyze they have just motion sensors too & alot of folks use ifttt (if this then that) to control an external siren w/ a smart plug based on a motion or action.

I was also pondering electrifying your iron fence 🤔 not sure if it would be practical but it would be interesting 😁 especially when caught on camera 🎥
With a battery of course.

Love all the tech. Low tech is good, too: some sort of privacy screen between equipment and street would be the first order of business. Wooden slats screwed to the iron gate/fence would be simple enough. Out of sight, out of mind.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have the Ring doorbell up front because it's easy, has good notification options, and a fisheye lens for great viewing. Then I have 12 hard-wired cameras from two different systems (Lorex and Night Owl) that I have projected to my wide screen TVs in the Livingroom. We watch virtually all angles of our property while we're awake. But that's the key ... while awake. And even if I see someone, they will probably conceal their face. But between the physical presence of cameras and the warning stickers/signs I have with them, they do get attention. I went with hard-wired cameras for reliability. Now that we have all these cameras, I can't ever imagine not having a surveillance system. They also have apps so I can watch our property when I'm away or wherever I travel.

I could set-up my hard-wired system notifications to my phone like my Ring, but that can be a nuisance unless you really adjust the motion settings well. We also have floodlights (some always on, others motion) and Beware of Dog signs for our six dogs that provide an additional barriers. Right now you mention you are concerned about the equipment area which could be monitored by one camera, but you might consider any other areas you want to monitor as well before you make your final selection. Angles, distance, power reliability, night/day viewing, etc will all play a factor. Cameras ... they are addicting.

Check out this YouTuber. He has a great channel of comparisons for just about every make/model out there.

Wyze, is great. Don’t let the price scare you.
For my from door I have Kuna, should see people when they walk up and hear “ we are busy but the camera is recording “ greeting. Had one guy do a 180 quickly and he was spitting in a neighbors garage at 11pm the next night.

WYZE has a wireless camera that last a few months between charging for around $49 also. My sister has one. I just ordered thier home seciruty kit, they are goign to do monirtoring for $5 a month with no contract.
I don't think they list the motion sensors as "outdoor" but I am going to put one outside under the covered area of my pool..YOu can also tie it to trigger a switch that turns on lights, submachine guns, 300000volt spark generator etc :)

Edit can’t figure out the new pic postings.

I like the sign that says ‘if you are found here at night you will be found here tomorrow’. You are in TX and all.....

Edit can’t figure out the new pic postings.

I like the sign that says ‘if you are found here at night you will be found here tomorrow’. You are in TX and all.....

You can literally copy the picture and paste directly into the editor window.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.