Security Cameras

I have the Ring doorbell up front because it's easy, has good notification options, and a fisheye lens for great viewing. Then I have 12 hard-wired cameras from two different systems (Lorex and Night Owl) that I have projected to my wide screen TVs in the Livingroom. We watch virtually all angles of our property while we're awake. But that's the key ... while awake. And even if I see someone, they will probably conceal their face. But between the physical presence of cameras and the warning stickers/signs I have with them, they do get attention. I went with hard-wired cameras for reliability. Now that we have all these cameras, I can't ever imagine not having a surveillance system. They also have apps so I can watch our property when I'm away or wherever I travel.

I could set-up my hard-wired system notifications to my phone like my Ring, but that can be a nuisance unless you really adjust the motion settings well. We also have floodlights (some always on, others motion) and Beware of Dog signs for our six dogs that provide an additional barriers. Right now you mention you are concerned about the equipment area which could be monitored by one camera, but you might consider any other areas you want to monitor as well before you make your final selection. Angles, distance, power reliability, night/day viewing, etc will all play a factor. Cameras ... they are addicting.

Check out this YouTuber. He has a great channel of comparisons for just about every make/model out there.

OK, feeling a little better about the number of cams I have! There always seems to be one more spot I just can't quite see. I'm having good luck with PTZ cams, that allows me to look around. I have one on my pool, which I can zoom in close enough to see pebbles in the deep end, water level on the edge tiles, my vac at work, etc. Great while away. I have one in opposite corners outside, so between the two I can see all four sides of my house and yard. Then another on the front door, and several inside. I've gotten quite dependent on them.

For all things tech in my house I avoid batteries and wireless/wi-fi whenever I can. All the cams are hardwired. Most of them POE (power over ethernet), which really simplifies installation. Granted, not as simple as a battery-operated wi-fi cam, but simple in terms of hardwiring.

I've also got a lock on my breaker box, which faces outdoors. It's an unfortunate location. It's good from a safety standpoint, especially because I have PV solar. As linemen working in the neighborhood would need emergency access to the solar breaker. But awful in terms of security, as a simple flip of a switch would bring all my security to its knees. So I lock the breaker box door. Something to consider for you all looking to improve your security.

Let's face it, you can't make a residential property bad-guy-proof. But you can make your house less inviting than the neighbors'...

Last edited:
Don't worry Newdude, I can picture it in my head :)

Good ideas and I'll have to do some research tonight on the various technologies/options. I do have a baby cypress tree that I planted to eventually obstruct the view of equipment from the street, as dictated by the HOA. In hindsight my purchase of a baby 3-gallon tree just to make a point may not been the wisest move.

PS - I think many of you have underestimated my HOA as they have a single specific color for the fence, a single approved mailbox that you can use (that freakin costs $1,500!?!), basketball goals are not allowed, etc. I may save the electric fence idea for protection from the HOA :)

Most of them POE (power over ethernet), which really simplifies installation. Granted, not as simple as a battery-operated wi-fi cam, but simple in terms of hardwiring.
Hmm... thats a good idea. I have an intellicenter with an ethernet connection to the wireless receiver on the side of the house. I wonder if I can piggy back off of that.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hmmm, I can always find ways to spend money... For less than the cost of some of my cams, I should add a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). I could run the POE cams and the computer and cable box they all rely on. Which could broadcast imagery to an FTP site for safe keeping.

Ha, I wonder if a "Beware of UPS POE Cams" sign next to the "Beware of Dogs" sign would impress a ne'er-do-well!

Reactions: markayash
The bad part is if somebody takes your stuff its hard for you or the police to find them unless it's a neighbor. I debated the sprinkler trick by my back door but the guy reading the gas meter might not think it's funny :(
My house may look like something after caddyshack after he got blasted.

Hmmm, I can always find ways to spend money... For less than the cost of some of my cams, I should add a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). I could run the POE cams and the computer and cable box they all rely on. Which could broadcast imagery to an FTP site for safe keeping.

Ha, I wonder if a "Beware of UPS POE Cams" sign next to the "Beware of Dogs" sign would impress a ne'er-do-well!
We use to ride dirt bikes years ago at the lake and one cabin had signs " House is booby trapped stay out"
lay some exposed wires around the pad and put up a "caution high voltage"

PS - I think many of you have underestimated my HOA as they have a single specific color for the fence, a single approved mailbox that you can use (that freakin costs $1,500!?!), basketball goals are not allowed, etc. I may save the electric fence idea for protection from the HOA

I think I'm gonna need a picture of this $1500 mailbox.....?

Reactions: wgipe and Newdude
They're nothing special, thats for sure:

I heard people complaining about the price for repairs on the stupid things, but I didn't pay too much attention until the next door neighbor was having work done on his roof. As the truck was driving off, they took out both of our mailboxes. Luckily the dude stopped and admitted to doing it and they had the crew out there within days to fix them. The owner of the roofing company told the neighbor they billed him $1,500 to replace mine completely and repair and paint his.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fancy schmancy mailbox. Or it might be hoity toity, not sure where the cut off is between the two.

Brag alert! Don't know why, I think maybe the previous owners moved into my house before the PO setup the box on the corner. The whole development was brand new at the time. So I have a mailbox. The only one in the neighborhood, and one of the few in my town. Ssshhhh. They keep putting my mail in it. Noice! Mums the word. 🤫

I haven't gone motion sensor yet, for lights or cams. I should look into either or both, I suppose. I have an HA panic button that turns on every outdoor light at once (like ten of them). And another one that turns on every light in the house, inside and out. But that's not proactive, just re-active.

How about a motion detector that plays the sound of a shotgun cocking?

Reactions: BowserB
I have been pleased with the performance of RING and NEST cameras. I have a NEST over my pool equipment (it is plugged in to a socket) but I locked the cover of the socket and I ran the wire in a conduit to minimize the line being cut easily. I like it because I have it to the cloud and can scroll through 10 days of history and have set it up in zones for certain types of alerts. They even now have a "people only" alert. Now I have a RING as well and I like that because it is battery operated (can also be hooked to its own solar panel). But it has spot light that activates on motion. So it does not have continuous video as does the NEST but it does have spot light. It only captures short video when activated. I run it with 2 batteries and I need to charge one of them every 30 days or so (depending on activity where it watches. The other battery kicks in when one is removed or goes below 10% power.

Fancy schmancy mailbox. Or it might be hoity toity, not sure where the cut off is between the two.

Brag alert! Don't know why, I think maybe the previous owners moved into my house before the PO setup the box on the corner. The whole development was brand new at the time. So I have a mailbox. The only one in the neighborhood, and one of the few in my town. Ssshhhh. They keep putting my mail in it. Noice! Mums the word. 🤫

I think they have elections to fund the post office. During this last run off in Georgia I would bet we got at least 4 or 5 flyers every day. I walked straight to the recycle bin and many days had nothing left after I tossed them all.
And my mail box post got $125 form Homedepot and its "fancy" also IMHO :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.