ok, one last ditch effort. You can try it if you want to. I use an app on my phone called Fing. Its a network scanner and has some neat tools. You can download it, it has a premium service but just ignore that. It will scan your network and list all devices connected to it, their IP address, mac address, and available open ports. You can plug the PA in and scan your network. Maybe Fing will give you some information that your router app is not giving you.

Also, I'm not familiar with Pentair equipment. But in trying to help you I have googled a little bit. It looks like you can connect locally using the Screen logic app on your phone or the computer app. The one YouTube video I watch said the app would automatically find the PA if it was connected. I assume you have tried this and let the app try to find the PA and it failed?

Good Luck!

ok, one last ditch effort. You can try it if you want to. I use an app on my phone called Fing. Its a network scanner and has some neat tools. You can download it, it has a premium service but just ignore that. It will scan your network and list all devices connected to it, their IP address, mac address, and available open ports. You can plug the PA in and scan your network. Maybe Fing will give you some information that your router app is not giving you.

Also, I'm not familiar with Pentair equipment. But in trying to help you I have googled a little bit. It looks like you can connect locally using the Screen logic app on your phone or the computer app. The one YouTube video I watch said the app would automatically find the PA if it was connected. I assume you have tried this and let the app try to find the PA and it failed?

Good Luck!

Correct. The app won't find it locally or remotely. I think it's because the PA won't obtain an IP.

When you get another PA it will become clear if your first box is defective or if the second box has the same connection problem in which case it is the antiquated chipset Pentair used.

Yes exactly. I have another PA coming. If the second box reacts the same, I'll have to figure out a different way to control my easy touch system. Was really hoping to have everything on my phone/watch. But I guess upgrading to gigabit speed internet has set me back 20 years. 😂

I assume you're trying to hardwire the screenlogic to a mesh router, backhaul the IP over the mesh to another mesh router and that router is connected to the internet via your modem? First i would make sure that you only have a single DHCP server on your network, either the velop mesh devices or the modem to the internet. Then i would verify that the cable to the screen logic is working. Once you've convinced yourself that the physical media has established a link then i would go and chase why DHCP doesn't provision any adresses. My guess is you're not establishing a link to the device.

I have read on various internet forums that the velop mesh router shipped with faulty ethernet cables. i would first replace the cable. Try the new cable with a device you know is working and verify connectivity. then move the cable over to the protocol converter and verify if you get link or not. Check this page for information on how to verify link speeds: Wired link from Modem to Parent Node limited to 100Mbps

Once you've determined you have link (ideally using the same cable) then you can start debugging logical configuration and protocols.

I had the exact same problem. turned out that it was caused by someone hard coding the IP adress into the screenlogic adapter.
I had to reset it via the paper clip method, but then i found that this wasn't all i had to do -i also had to power cycle the screenlogic protocol adapter for it to start listening to dhcp.

But start with verifying that something else can talk on that cable before you do a ton of other work.

Reactions: iain42
Are you using the Protocol Adapter + the wireless bridge setup?

1616378365743.png

If so ....

I had issues with my screenlogic connecting, and it turned out to be the wireless link (not my WiFi, but the wireless link between the two parts of the Screen Logic setup) between the indoor wireless brisge and the outdoor wireless bridge. It just so happens the wireless bridge uses the same frequency as my wireless weather station uses for the wind gauge. As soon as I took the batteries out of my wind gauge, and unplugged my wireless weather station, the Screen Logic setup started working.

I ended up fixing it by changing the channel my weather station uses to communicate with the anemometer wind gauge.

So if this is what you're experiencing, you can do two things to test it ... either turn off all other wireless devices you have (weather station, wireless wall outlets, christmas lights, etc, etc ..) ... or ... you can get a really long network cable, and move the protocol adapter out to your equipment pad and connect the 4 wires directly to your EasyTouch box. Then stretch a network cable from the router out to the PA adapter at the equipment pad. If this works, then there's most likely something on the same frequency/channel causing wireless interference.

I have my PA connected to a switch on my network -- not connected directly to my wired router. Simple test would be to but a cheap $10-$20 port switch on Amazon (Netgear, etc.). Connect the PA to that new switch, then also connect a Cat5/6 cable between the new cheap switch and into a wired ethernet port of the router.

I use to be a network guy, gigabit will automatically adjust 10/100/1000. Also network addresses are not assigned by the mesh network, rather the router, which controls IP address assignments, DNS, etc.. mesh network uses multiple wifi channels to construct a virtual bigger pipe between mesh units to carry traffic/data packets between the mesh units.

MAC ADDRESS‘s are unique to each network device, essentially a physical address for each specific network device that is the associated with the IP address which allows intra device communications to send/receive data packets.

I run ScreenLogic on a Netgear Orbi mesh network, PA is connected to a remote mesh node in my garage which connects to another mesh node via the back haul connection in the house which connects to another mesh node which is then connected to my AT&T router, which is connected to AT&T fiber.

it all works.

I would agree PA seems to be the device at fault.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: As bad as it sounds, I had to tell Pentair that I had an old router hooked up to slow internet for them to help me. Every time I got someone on the phone to troubleshoot the issue, they just would automatically blame the gigabit internet, or the mesh router, and not help in anyway. So I had to play their game, and finally got someone to send a replacement PA out. Hooked the new one up to my gigabit internet into my brand new mesh router, and it works perfectly...

So... Screenlogic does in fact work with gigabit internet, and with my mesh router in case someone comes across the same issue and Pentair won't help. Thanks everyone for helping out.

One thing I am running into is my watch won't connect. I think its because I set up a password for the system, as I've seen that in some other forums. When I try to reset the password or remove it, it won't let me reset it with a blank password. Any idea how to remove the existing password?

My watch stopped working last summer. I’ve tried (fresh install) several times last summer and twice this spring. Still not working 👎

Bought a used screenlogic2 off Ebay. No matter how many times I push the reset button, it does not seem to set the PA to DHCP. The MAC address shows up on my router but it cannot assign an IP address.

I have tried every reasonable combination of common IP ranges 192.168.X.1 and finally found the brick on 10.0.1.X.

You can the connect locally with a PC on the same router to update the firmware and change the IP to DHCP using Screenlogic Connect.

Getting the IP to actually change once in DHCP involves pushing the reset button 3 times.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.