Screenlogic I changed out new routers but locally it will not connect

Feb 12, 2017
McKinney/TX
I got a new router and it is distributing the same IP addresses I believe. 192.168.1.0/24 however I cannot seem to get it to connect to the outside unit. The screenlogic connect software can see the adapter however when i try to start the software it shows no signs of actually being connected ie temp and everything is 0 or no. When I try to configure it just says connecting and never connects. I tried to find info online on how to get this to connect but no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how to tell if this is a screelogic 2 or not.

What model is your new router?

Is it an Eero or Google mesh router?

I can see the protocol adapter locally but I cannot connect to the outside unit. The inside unit just has a fast flashing green light on power. No TX or RX lights. The outside unit has a slow blinking green light on the transceiver. Is this thing toast or is this recoverable. I outside of my base warranty and I already replaced the inside adapter once. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I seem to recall resetting the Adaptor is required when replacing a router. And there's a trick to that. @Jimrahbe knows how to do it...

Last edited:
If you get " ERROR Cannot connect” after replacing the router, then you will have to reset the Protocol Adapter because you changed the router.

Push the reset button 3 times. It is inside the little hole in one end of the adapter.

Did this get fixed?

I redid my network and now I can't connect to my screenlogic2 interface (same as seen above).

It has an IP - I can see it on my network / router. My switch confirms the same IP.

I have a red light on hte bottom of the interface. Pressed button 3 times nothing seems to happen. Unplugged it and started up again, gets same IP and nothing happens. Can't connect remotely or locally. I deleted the iphone app and reinstalled, still doesn't work. Do not have a PC in my home.

Appreciate any help - family asking me to turn on the hot tub and I can't!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
P,

I'd like to help, but my ScreenLogic just works.. Plugged it in and it has always worked.. It got hit by lightning and the protocol adapter was replaced.. Again, turned it on and it works..

I have heard that it will not work with "Mesh" routers, but since I don't even know what a mesh router is, I have no idea if that is true or not.

I know mine is connected to one of the ports right on the back of my router and not at one of the switches where most of my other stuff is connected.

Sorry about not being of any help on this one..

Jim R.

Did this get fixed?

I redid my network and now I can't connect to my screenlogic2 interface (same as seen above).

It has an IP - I can see it on my network / router. My switch confirms the same IP.

I have a red light on hte bottom of the interface. Pressed button 3 times nothing seems to happen. Unplugged it and started up again, gets same IP and nothing happens. Can't connect remotely or locally. I deleted the iphone app and reinstalled, still doesn't work. Do not have a PC in my home.

Appreciate any help - family asking me to turn on the hot tub and I can't!

Details are needed.

How did you redo your network?

What was your old router and what is the new router?

What was your old IP address range?

What is your new IP address range?

What IP address is the Screenlogic getting?

What is telling you the IP address of Screenlogic?

All I did was add a new managed switch and rewired most of my network (moved into rack in a network closet). Router remained the same. IP range is 10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0. router is Firewalla Gold into unifi managed switch network. IP of Screenlogic is within that range (10.0.0.214) . IP address seen by both router and by my unifi cloudkey. Last night I was getting 50% packet loss and noted it was connected at 10HDX.

After all that - for some reason overnight it came back online. Not sure if something has to happen at Pentair side of things for it to work or what, but I woke up this morning and despite doing nothing else it was working fine. It's still only connected at 10HDX but I guess that's what it does. Packet loss is 0 and device is online. I literally did nothing else. I'm going to reserve the IP so it doesn't change in the future just in case but I'm pretty sure it didn't change (no reason it would with just addition of a switch).

And thanks @mknauss - I have both a gas and heat pump heater and wasn't sure what would happen if I started pushing buttons - next time I'll try that.

Reactions: mknauss
The Screenlogic brick is an old low speed device that does not communicate much data. 10HDX speed was ok at the time it was developed. In those days products were either 10 Mb/s or high speed 100 Mb/s. Today products are either 100 Mb/s or high speed 1Gb/s.

Glad it self healed. Sometimes networks do that.

Router remained the same. IP range is 10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0.
It is incorrect to use a class C netmask with a class A network. Your netmask should be 255.0.0.0.
  • Class A networks use a default subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 and have 0-127 as their first octet. The address 10.52.36.11 is a class A address. Its first octet is 10, which is between 1 and 126, inclusive.
  • Class B networks use a default subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and have 128-191 as their first octet. The address 172.16.52.63 is a class B address. Its first octet is 172, which is between 128 and 191, inclusive.
  • Class C networks use a default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and have 192-223 as their first octet. The address 192.168.123.132 is a class C address. Its first octet is 192, which is between 192 and 223, inclusive.

It is incorrect to use a class C netmask with a class A network. Your netmask should be 255.0.0.0.

255.255.255.0 will work with a class A 10.0.0.1 network. It just limits the network to 256 IP addresses when the network addressing can allow more. A 10.XXX.XXX.XXX network is not routable and it only impacts the local network.

Reactions: markayash
255.255.255.0 will work with a class A 10.0.0.1 network. It just limits the network to 256 IP addresses when the network addressing can allow more.
Yes. But there's no point in limiting a class A network to the number of class C addresses. And to be pedantic, class C has only 254 addresses.

I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous, but this is one way I limit my network issues.

In the router, I have limited the range of available DHCP addresses to a reasonable amount of addresses. Mine is 10 or so. More is fine. Then I have assigned a unique fixed IP address to all my devices: computers, phones, iPad, printers, TVs, CAMs, everything. And I assigned those fixed addresses to those outside the range I established for DHCP. This minimizes, or eliminates, any chance of devices crashing into each other on my LAN, including neighbors' devices, guests' devices, etc. It covers the odd behavior that sometimes happens when I swap out devices, or while they are all recovering from a power outage, etc. Basically, while I am sure it is tried and true tech, I don't trust my network to DHCP, because I know for a fact it doesn't work 100% of the time.

I assigned a fixed address to my SL adaptor and, like Jim's, it's just always worked without issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.