Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hi!

Yesterday, while cleaning my polaris for the 1st time after switching to a mesh bag, i found my bag full of something that looks like sand. Has anyone ever seem this? What is it? Today is day two and i got less, but still almost half a bag.

I would recommend two things:
- Post a full set of water test results
- Post a pic of the substance you are referring to

Those two items should help us.
Hi!

Here is the picture. Water test results as follows:
FC 5.5
CC 0
TA 80
PH 7.4
CH 250
CYA 70
Salinity 3400

Attachments

• 20210521_071241.jpg
    20210521_071241.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 18
Wow, you weren't kidding. That does look like sand. Seems like a stretch for it to blow-in from the bay assuming they even have material like that there. Any heavy rains or anything lately that might explain it running into the pool? @ajw22 you familiar with that area?

Out of curiosity, you might place some of that in a pile on the grass and pour a little muriatic acid or vinegar on it to see if it fizzles - calcium

What type of deck do you have?

Is sand used between pavers?

Wow, you weren't kidding. That does look like sand. Seems like a stretch for it to blow-in from the bay assuming they even have material like that there. Any heavy rains or anything lately that might explain it running into the pool? @ajw22 you familiar with that area?

Out of curiosity, you might place some of that in a pile on the grass and pour a little muriatic acid or vinegar on it to see if it fizzles - calcium
No heavy rain. I have a paver deck 10 feet wide on each direction from my pool. So doubt dirty is coming into the pool. I poured vinegar on it. Nothing happened.

I do not think is the polimeric sands as it's sand like, but is kind of crystalized. My polymeric sand is darker (see picture). At the beginning i though it was undisolved salt . Additionally, my deck is pitched away from the pool to prevent rain water from going to the pool. My pool guy thinks is something being killed by the chlorine that becomes this thing.

Attachments

• 20210522_180018.jpg
    20210522_180018.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 6
My pool guy thinks is something being killed by the chlorine that becomes this thing.
Well, unless someone added something to the water we don't know about, there's nothing in your latest tests that indicate there would be a problem. Odd indeed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it gritty like sand?

If it is dead algae or dead anything it not going to be gritty.

I do not think is the polimeric sands as it's sand like, but is kind of crystalized. My polymeric sand is darker (see picture). At the beginning i though it was undisolved salt . Additionally, my deck is pitched away from the pool to prevent rain water from going to the pool. My pool guy thinks is something being killed by the chlorine that becomes this thing.

Well, unless someone added something to the water we don't know about, there's nothing in your latest tests that indicate there would be a problem. Odd indeed.
Do you think this can be plaster coming off my pool walls? My plaster is an Onyx color made of
Can this be plaster coming off? My pool was installed 3 years ago and i had issues with plaster white stain. My plaster color is the diamond brite Onyx, but i have white stains in some places. Can't figure this out and is driving me crazy!

Can this be plaster coming off?
Never say never I guess, but chemically speaking your water tests don't indicate aggressive water that would indicate such erosion or etching from the walls. If the water was that aggressive, you might also see problems elsewhere like the heater or something. Plus, it didn't fizzle during the acid test. One last hail-Mary pass to @JamesW for his thoughts.

Hello all! So I took a water sample to Leslie's pool for testing (Just to see if they can see something I missed). They use a digital tester and they told me my TA is 40 PPM. I questioned as I had just tested the same water at home and my TA was 80PPM. The pool guy at Leslie told me that that 40PPM was my adjusted TA after taking into consideration my CYA was 80PPM. I never hear of this before? Is this truth? If so, would this make my water corrosive enough to make my plaster come off?

Hello all! So I took a water sample to Leslie's pool for testing (Just to see if they can see something I missed). They use a digital tester and they told me my TA is 40 PPM. I questioned as I had just tested the same water at home and my TA was 80PPM. The pool guy at Leslie told me that that 40PPM was my adjusted TA after taking into consideration my CYA was 80PPM. I never hear of this before? Is this truth? If so, would this make my water corrosive enough to make my plaster come off?

This why you cannot mix TFP Methods with Pool Store methods or advice.

We do not adjust TA. So when TA values are discussed here they are the values you get from your testing. For calculating CSI and the corrosiveness of your pool water PoolMath does the adjustments.

Mixing Leslies testing and advice with TFPO Methods will only confuse you. That is why we suggest you stay out of Leslies.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.