Lining my skimmer basket with nylon mesh material for better straining?

Brian PacNW

Silver Supporter
Aug 3, 2023
Snohomish, WA, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Intex skimmer basket has very wide holes. We don't really get big floating leaves in our little pool, mainly grass and finer material which slips right through the basket and into the sand filter.
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 11.36.38 AM.png

I want to line the skimmer basket with a nylon net, but I'm unsure of the right mesh size to get. I found this Amazon mesh product and in comes in different sized, from 35 microns all the way up to 200 microns.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 11.40.54 AM.png

First, is there anything wrong with this idea? Any downsides?
Second, I'm assuming the largest 200 microns will be sufficient, aye?

My goal is to keep the sand in better shape so I can backwash less often.

229233-17dbc80955ea9952f634ecd9460c74ef.jpg

Based on a recommendation from @mknauss , I switched to hair nets a month ago. Now there is no more rinsing of the baskets to get everything out. They also catch some finer particles that the baskets don't, thereby extending the cycle between filter cleanings. I just about spend more time walking between the two skimmers than I do "cleaning" the baskets.

Thanks Marty!

Disposable Hair Nets

Reactions: mknauss
You can also get ready made skimmer socks cheaply on Amazon. To each their own - i like socks but most like hairnets.

You can also get ready made skimmer socks cheaply on Amazon. To each their own - i like socks but most like hairnets.

I like the socks for early season when pollen is prevalent. I then switch to hair nets for the beetles and "other stuff". :giggle:

Attachments

• Skimmer Handle.jpg
    Skimmer Handle.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230807_100616582.jpg
    IMG_20230807_100616582.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.