Nashville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Just closed the pool a few days ago. It took forever waiting for the water temp to get under 50 degrees.

The sand filter has been in use for around 20 years. I estimated based on the manufacture date for the serial number. Based on how fast debris settles on the bottom of the pool I've suspected it's time for a new one. It's also been suggested that I paint the fiberglass housing if I'm going to continue using it.

I typically drain the pool below the returns when closing, and while I was doing that I took the SWG off and I found a considerable amount of water being pushed through it. In my rookie estimation, I think that means I need a new multi port valve? Or maybe a gasket inside the valve?

Thinking now that I need to plan for replacement in the spring. I think I should stick with sand, as the idea of hosing DE filters isn't my cup of tea, but willing to hear opposing arguments. I'm also not sure how to shop for a new filter, what size, multiport side or top mount, etc. What should I look out for? I'll likely install it myself so install tips are welcomed as well. I replaced the sand in the current one a couple seasons ago so knowing how to do that is half the battle I feel like. TIA

I can comment on the type filter..........stick with sand. It's dependable and reliable and you have been using it successfully for a long time.

Don't get sucked into an alternate medium like zeolite or glass balls. Sand works.......don't try to "fix" it :)

You have a fairly large pool, so the bigger the filter the better. Just stick with sand if it's been working and you have no water restrictions. If anything, I would be more concerned about replacing that single speed 1HP pump. Feel free to post some pics of your equipment pad. It might help give us more ideas.

Another thought 💭
You don’t have to wait for the water to be 50 degrees. The recommendation here is 60 degrees consistently. At that point the potential for algae growth is considerably slowed.
Then of course, opening before it rises above 60 degrees.
Here’s some good info on selecting equipment

Reactions: Webster
Our filter also needs replacing so I'm in the same boat. Started dripping a bit when I opened it to deep clean the sand early in the season, and I recently noticed a new, large-ish leak near one of the bolt holes. (Pool is still open because I am waiting on the mud jacking company to come fill some cracks in the deck in a couple weeks... They won't be able to get to some of them with the winter cover on, and that is why there are still a few cracks to fill, and I don't want to put it on and have to take it off. Anyway...)

I just read the posted guide to filters and have a question:

I'm not super worried about the water required to clean the sand in backwashing. I am most concerned with the time involved in pool chores. (I actually kinda like them, it feels a bit meditative, but other family things take precedent.) I'm curious about the time required to clean DE or cartridge filters on a regular basis as compared to another sand filter.

That's fair. I suppose a lot of us really only have experience with one or the other and not multiple filters! I was thinking, say, about potential time required to open up/disassemble a cartridge filter and hose it off? Is that relatively quick, or does it take some time?

Maybe the/another question is, comparing 3 filters of equivalent pool capacity, does one style tend to require cleanings more often?

I suppose another consideration might be setting it up... I.e. if the plumbing is going to require a lot of changing, it might be a strong argument in favor of the current filter.

say, about potential time required to open up/disassemble a cartridge filter and hose it off? Is that relatively quick, or does it take some time?
Deep cleaning any of the 3 takes about the same time, and isn't needed but once a season when the filter is large enough. Sand and DE need little cleans (backwashes) where the carts don't.

Many have used the replacement as an excuse to go cart and very few were disappointed.

Our filter also needs replacing so I'm in the same boat. Started dripping a bit when I opened it to deep clean the sand early in the season, and I recently noticed a new, large-ish leak near one of the bolt holes. (Pool is still open because I am waiting on the mud jacking company to come fill some cracks in the deck in a couple weeks... They won't be able to get to some of them with the winter cover on, and that is why there are still a few cracks to fill, and I don't want to put it on and have to take it off. Anyway...)

I just read the posted guide to filters and have a question:

I'm not super worried about the water required to clean the sand in backwashing. I am most concerned with the time involved in pool chores. (I actually kinda like them, it feels a bit meditative, but other family things take precedent.) I'm curious about the time required to clean DE or cartridge filters on a regular basis as compared to another sand filter.
Part of the problem with your filter is that 1.5hp pump is trying to push very much more water than the 44GPM/max flow it is designed to handle. something has to give eventually (unless it is a VSP and the RPMs are turned down).
Fastest filter to clean is always a sand filter.

Part of the problem with your filter is that 1.5hp pump is trying to push very much more water than the 44GPM/max flow it is designed to handle. something has to give eventually (unless it is a VSP and the RPMs are turned down).
Fastest filter to clean is always a sand filter.
Well, heck, I wish someone would have mentioned that back when I was struggling with the leaks after deep cleaning it! All this stuff was here when I bought the house, so I cannot speak as to why any of the equipment was selected. Other than there is evidence the previous owners of the house listened to the pool store!

It's not a VSP. It is not real old (IIRC, build date is 2020) so while whenever it IS time to replace the pump I will go VSP, I don't know that I want to do that right away, too. But I guess I should be looking at an even bigger filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had a sand filter for decades - one of the old Pac-Fab stainless tank ones. Found out here that it was undersized for the pool, and the pump oversized for the filter - so junk tended to be blown through the bed. Switched to a proper sized cartridge this past spring when the band clamp on the old tank failed.

1. Fantastically clear water now, always. Never knew water could be so clear. Even that time when the algae grew, the water was crystal (just not the pool bottom or sides!).
2. Only needed to clean the 4 carts once this season, at the end. Never did get a pressure rise, despite the really heavy loads I put through it a few times. Only cleaned it because it seemed to be the thing to do pre-closing. Yes, it needed it, but likely could have gone months more before I had to do it (if my water didn't tend to get solid late in the year...)
3. Cleaning took about the same amount of time as deep cleaning the sand. Is messier, and I got wetter.
4. Did plumb in a valve and waste line. I miss having a "recirc" option from the old multi-port. But have not really had a defined need for it.

Just prior to the failure of the old, spent a lot of time rerouting the waste output to a new drainage area, with a sump basin to control erosion near the outlet. Was always an issue with the huge amount of backwashing I had to do. After the new filter, the only time to use the waste line was when the pool overfilled due to heavy rain.

I'd never go back - but mine was incorrectly spec'd. IF yours normally keeps the water perfect all the time, and you hardly ever have to vac to waste to avoid overloading it, then less of a reason to switch technologies...

I'd never go back - but mine was incorrectly spec'd
This is a pet peeve of mine, thanks for acknowledging it. :)

Upsizing any undersized filter will have dramatic results but most folks think the change from A to B was the reason, and that's not fair to filter style A.

New car commercials tweak my melons too. Stick somebody with an old and so-so equipped Vehicle A and no KIDDING fully equipped brand spanky new Vehicle B wows them. The new fully equipped Vehicle A would have done the same, but they ignore that part. Vehicle A's are junk. :ROFLMAO:

This is a pet peeve of mine, thanks for acknowledging it. :)

Upsizing any undersized filter will have dramatic results but most folks think the change from A to B was the reason, and that's not fair to filter style A.

New car commercials tweak my melons too. Stick somebody with an old and so-so equipped Vehicle A and no KIDDING fully equipped brand spanky new Vehicle B wows them. The new fully equipped Vehicle A would have done the same, but they ignore that part. Vehicle A's are junk. :ROFLMAO:
Kind of like those before & after photos. “Before” has bad lighting, colors toned down, no makeup, hair is so so. “After” pops with color, makeup, bright lights & salon hair, oh and evidence of that thing they’re trying to sell.

Reactions: Newdude
Keep in mind I'm a hardcore cart guy, defending the other 2.

Size matters. Then your yard dumps a set amount and type of crud, and all 3 filters pick up that crud, which filters even finer crud. The yard determines the filter level IMO, the only questin is how fast the filter gets slightly dirty to have a level playing field for all 3.

You have a fairly large pool, so the bigger the filter the better. Just stick with sand if it's been working and you have no water restrictions. If anything, I would be more concerned about replacing that single speed 1HP pump. Feel free to post some pics of your equipment pad. It might help give us more ideas.
Replacing the pump is also on the list, but it’s still working for now. As for the pad, well, that’s a whole other can of worms. Everything is in an old aluminum shed. Flooring is wood and it’s beginning to rot. I’d like to tear the whole thing down and build a new one, or maybe just an open structure with a covering. Will post pics next chance I get.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Another thought 💭
You don’t have to wait for the water to be 50 degrees. The recommendation here is 60 degrees consistently. At that point the potential for algae growth is considerably slowed.
Then of course, opening before it rises above 60 degrees.
Here’s some good info on selecting equipment
Good to know. I’m not sure why I had 50 as a benchmark. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Good to know. I’m not sure why I had 50 as a benchmark. Thanks for the link.
Since I'm waiting for the mudjackers still, the pool is technically open though largely unused even though it is hovering around 40 degrees.

Though we did jump in it a week and a half ago when it was snowing!

20231125_154709.jpg

Here’s all my ugliness. I’d like to take a sawzall to the whole shed and build a different enclosure but time is an issue. The breaker box is also an issue I’m not sure what to do with.

I had an air leak at the ball valve last year and I cut them out and replaced them with the Hayward diverter valve. That was fun, as my cut was below the water level of the pool. And the glue up is messy as I had to learn how to glue PVC, but it works.

There is a concrete pad under the shed, but I’m not sure if the size or condition.

Attachments

• IMG_4279.jpeg
    IMG_4279.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4283 copy.jpeg
    IMG_4283 copy.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.