Sand filter cleaner products

Sep 20, 2013
Hello colleagues
I have a 300 lb Hyward sand filter - approx 5 years old now. Opened pool earlier this month and had heck of a time getting algae stains off the liner - finally supe SLAM worked......was now thinking of changing sand in the filter to clean up organic matter but from all I have read, it may not be needed.
The filter is installed inside the poolroom and I am not excited about taking the cover off the deep clean with a hose (the muck will get all over the floor)

So the question I have - do sand filter cleaner products like BioGuard Strip Kwik work or are they a gimmick? Thanks for the help!

I would avoid any magic cleaning potions. They generally just waste your money.

If you don't want to deep clean in your pool equipment area. I remember one member who used a shop vac to get most of the sand out of the filter then rinsed the sand in 5 gallon buckets with a hose like a deep clean does with the sand still in the filter. Put the sand back in the filter button it up and you are good to go.

Make sure to do a good backwash and rinse before sending water back to the pool after a deep clean.

Thanks - you have helped my decision - no cleaning products
I will bite the bullet and deep clean the filter one of these days - easier to clean up the mess on the floor rather than shop vac the sand and put it back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.