Sand Filter Backwashing Frequency

jsteinm1

Apr 22, 2023
Nebraska
After using my sand filter for about 6 weeks, just want to check and make sure some of the things I've learned about it are correct (which- since upgrading my filter and finding this site/app for chemicals, pool has been sparkling clean this year!). I've noticed my pressure doesn't change on the filter much, until I vacuum with it. That usually takes it from 8-10 to 12-15 so I always backwash after I vacuum, which is about once per week. We are not a real dry area, but are in a drought right now so I'm thinking of how to conserve water a bit more. Is this frequency of backwashing about right? Or is there a different way I could vacuum that would catch debris before going to my filter and needing a backwash (vacuuming to waste would be way more water loss I'd imagine)?

I backwash based on the filters pressure with zero attachments running. Generally, 15-20psi is when I do mine.

It depends on how you are vacuuming. If you are manually vacuuming and running the hose into the skimmer, you could put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to catch a lot of the dirt before it gets to your filter. This may require you to stop vacuuming a few times to rinse off the skimmer sock if it gets too loaded with fine dirt.

Reactions: MITBeta
about how does that happen for you? Like weekly, monthly, once per summer, etc... Just wanting to make sure weekly isn't unusual

Everyone is going to be different in terms of time between backwashes. What works for me might not work for you. You really need just need to find a routine that works for you and maybe use others that have similar setup as a baseline to start from. When I was new, I would say now that I was OCD with everything. Now I am much more relaxed and have settled into a routine that works for me and spend infinitely much less time trying to maintain/worrying about it.

Filter capacity, filter type, water turnover rate by pump, time within season, geographic location will have a bearing, even year to year you might be different. I put an upgraded glycerol pressure gauge on my filter that reads out to 30psi to help monitor. Over the years I have found that when I check my chemical levels or even when I am just walking past the filter that, I make it a point to glance at the pressure gauge.

There really is no right from wrong in what you're doing. I'm just noting a way to maybe decrease your concern of water usage while maintaining your pool. YMMV

It depends on how you are vacuuming. If you are manually vacuuming and running the hose into the skimmer, you could put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to catch a lot of the dirt before it gets to your filter. This may require you to stop vacuuming a few times to rinse off the skimmer sock if it gets too loaded with fine dirt.
^^^ This

With pump running at high speed, note the filter pressure after a backwash (sand filter). This is your clean pressure.
When the pressure rises (same high rpm) 20%-25% above the clean pressure, it's time to backwash again.

Every couple of years, do a deep clean of your sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.