Saltwater Pool is always reading High Chlorine

High chlorine is a relative term! It's all dependent on your CYA level. But, algae can grow a biofilm that protects it from chlorine. That's why we suggest a good brushing at least once a week. Everyday, if you're SLaMing.

FYI - I see your signature. It says: Laurie - Houston, TX 12000 gallons, Saltwater, Hayward Pool, pump installed by unknown 2011, ProLogic

Oh my gosh! I almost forgot. We really need some pics of your pool and equipment! We love pictures.
Photo's of pool and equipment..
9251a8fce9c2dbafc86713239fe8c3ed.jpg
da594a9cd8f0a7d6c05a62ff21b9ec1c.jpg
334d17d231a905a90c750c299a02737c.jpg
7c40f80cfbb1010a896e61ad6d4dfc56.jpg
214a3abbc9fcf7ad1b169a1d8b96f1c4.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

if that's a recent picture, I don't see how you would be battling algae, looks sparkling clear. if you have algae outbreak it would be eating up your chlorine very quickly. if you had you SWCG set low, it would keep up with it and your chlorine would be zero. we will know more once you get your testing done.

and welcome to TFP! you just saved yourself so much money!

Thank you...I sure hope so..I mean I'd pay someone if THEY actually cared about our pool...I'm too much of a geek not to learn it...

You'll be much happier taking care of your own pool. I'm an OCD geek like you and I get torqued-off even when my wife touches the pool equipment. Everyone knows, the pool is Daddy's domain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try diluting the pool water sample 1:1 with distilled water if you have some. Then multiply the result by 2.

You're running your pool pump 24hrs per day?? That's a lot. Too much perhaps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK I'll try that. No I'm running it 6 hours a day. They said when we moved here in the hot weather (Aug TX) to run 8 hours. I decreased it after the cooler weather but I have no clue what's going on. Ty for the response.

Try diluting the pool water sample 1:1 with distilled water if you have some. Then multiply the result by 2.

You're running your pool pump 24hrs per day?? That's a lot. Too much perhaps.

This is doing 5 drops of R-001 mix then 5 drops R-002 mix. I filled it 1/2 with distilled water and 1/2 with pool. Mixed prior to testing.
e05accf29d9dcf8679a6bd0467d60b61.jpg

So it looks like you're definitely over 10ppm.

By the way, Taylor sells a color comparator block that goes all the way up to 10ppm. It's bigger than the comparator you have there.

By the way, Taylor sells a color comparator block that goes all the way up to 10ppm. It's bigger than the comparator you have there.

Thanks! Do you mean the Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
People have said to use that one or order the test kit tf-100

I stopped by a pool store today and they didn't have the complete Taylor one :( - Which one do you use?

I'm really confused looking at the Taylor K-2005 vs K-2006...Thanks again. I am so grateful for all of your help.[emoji307] [emoji307]

The K-2005 is a "sub set" of the K-2006 with a variant in the chlorine test. It only has the DPD indicator for free chlorine that is a color comparator test. The K-2006 uses DPD-FAS chemistry to do a titration (drop count) based test of FC. The DPD-FAS titration method is very accurate because the solution starts pink (like what your seeing in the comparator cell) and you count drops of FAS reagent until it clears. Then you multiply the drop count by the concentration factor (typically 0.2ppm/drop) to get an exact FC level. Much more accurate.

Also, I don't think the K-2005 tests for CYA which is vital for good pool maintenance.

The K-2005 is a "sub set" of the K-2006 with a variant in the chlorine test. It only has the DPD indicator for free chlorine that is a color comparator test. The K-2006 uses DPD-FAS chemistry to do a titration (drop count) based test of FC. The DPD-FAS titration method is very accurate because the solution starts pink (like what your seeing in the comparator cell) and you count drops of FAS reagent until it clears. Then you multiply the drop count by the concentration factor (typically 0.2ppm/drop) to get an exact FC level. Much more accurate.

Also, I don't think the K-2005 tests for CYA which is vital for good pool maintenance.

Thank you very much. I am realizing I waisted more $$$ with this kit. I guess I can still use some reagents..

Not a waste at all! All the same reagents as the K-2006 so now you have refills. In fact, I bought a Taylor K1002 in order to get the R-0001 and R-0002 reagents for daily "quick" FC testing because I hate the old OTO "yellow" TC drops. So you can totally use everything in that K-2005 Kit.

Not a waste at all! All the same reagents as the K-2006 so now you have refills. In fact, I bought a Taylor K1002 in order to get the R-0001 and R-0002 reagents for daily "quick" FC testing because I hate the old OTO "yellow" TC drops. So you can totally use everything in that K-2005 Kit.

OK great! Thanks again...I'm looking online to price compare/shipping. I'm shocked Leslie's does not carry it..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.