Rust on outside wall pool

the one you can see the yard through is the one that is high up on the wall. I havent pulled away the sand cove to see the rail, should i do that now? The rail on the outside of the pool looks ok.
Well I can't see your yard through it, so there is that. :ROFLMAO:

It looks like surface rust from 3 states away, and primer will only help.

How's the bottom rail ? Sometimes they catch the water running down the wall and take the worst of it.

Instead of rivets, maybe look into the use of panel bond. It would eliminate the worry of rivets putting holes in the liner and would seal up and crevices reducing the potential for crevice corrosion.

Amazon.com

Reactions: rootusrootus
the one you can see the yard through is the one that is high up on the wall.
Yeah. That was the joke that the bottom one is much better. :)
I havent pulled away the sand cove to see the rail, should i do that now?
Yes. You want to know now, and not later after the work has been done. The outside being clean is a good omen.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Definitely give everything thing a good look over while you have the opportunity - a liner can last 10-15 years, that’s a long time to be worried your pool might burst unexpectedly. If you see compromised parts of the bottom of the wall you’ll need to call it.
Fwiw 16 years is a good run for an above ground pool.

At 16 years old and with that rust I'd think real hard about replacing the whole thing, especially if you need a new liner anyway. I had to make the same decision about 18 months ago, but my rust spots were along the bottom rail and very visible from the outside so much higher 'burst risk' than I think you may be facing if it's really just that one bad spot up kinda high.

Others have you covered it so I'm just reiterating to take a real close look at the inside behind the cove and see what you are dealing with.

And watching a few videos of AGPs bursting may influence your decision too!

Have you pulled the rest of the liner off the wall to see what kind of shape it is in? Outside my pool wall only showed rust in a relatively small area. The inside of the wall was much worse all the way around. There is a link to the demise of my pool in my signature.

Patching the rust will probably gain you a couple more years. As part of your descision making process, look at what is directly behind that damaged section of pool wall and what could possibly be damaged if that wall gives way. 11,000 gallons of water released all at once can do some damage to your or your neighbor's property depending on proximity.

Looks just like my buddies wall. I gave him a sheet of plastic 4' x 5' about an 1/8 inch thick. He cut it to the correct height and liquid nailed it to the metal liner. Then took some caulk to smooth out the side edges. Has worked for two years. Yes the rest will fail but he bought some time on the cheap.
I dont think that i would use rivets, but an adhesive like liquid nails.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out this thread of mine from when I replaced my liner in 2015 and see how your rust compares to mine at the bottom inside. You'll see that I used rust converter and maybe a few other things to buy me some time. It was end of the 2021 season that I decided it was time for a new pool, so it bought me some time.

I'd check out all the way around. When I took mine down where I thought it would be the worst at the bottom, was like new. It was the other side where water got trapped between the liner and the bottom of the steel wall where it rusted thru. Last picture under the deck. The low side where water got trapped.

Reactions: Mdragger88
just looked at the link in your signature. Mine is a Vogue as well! Vogue Simbio i believe.
Have you pulled the rest of the liner off the wall to see what kind of shape it is in? Outside my pool wall only showed rust in a relatively small area. The inside of the wall was much worse all the way around. There is a link to the demise of my pool in my signature.

Patching the rust will probably gain you a couple more years. As part of your descision making process, look at what is directly behind that damaged section of pool wall and what could possibly be damaged if that wall gives way. 11,000 gallons of water released all at once can do some damage to your or your neighbor's property depending on proximity.

I guess my next thread will be how to dispose of AGP.

Since the pool walls no longer matter to me sitting empty I assume best to leave up with the liner partially in it until I get an install date so nothing grows in the sand?

I guess my next thread will be how to dispose of AGP.

Since the pool walls no longer matter to me sitting empty I assume best to leave up with the liner partially in it until I get an install date so nothing grows in the sand?
You can tear the pool down & just leave the liner over the floor to prevent washing it out etc.
without water a bigish wind can blow the pool walls all around.
Scrap prices aren’t great but at least it’s something. If you have any aluminum pieces those are worth a little more.
Most people use a sawzall with one of those good diablo blades to cut the wall into smaller sections and then roll it up. Wear gloves 🧤!!
If you’re a diy kind of person many here have had good experiences with the pool factory.com
Most of the prep work is already done so that makes things a little easier for diying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.