Rust on AGP Wall

May 18, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
Hello all! It’s been awhile. I haven’t forgotten you guys, I’ve just been busy with work and all. I got promoted to a Store Manager trainer! Anyways, over the winter, a hefty size rust spot on the wall of my AGP formed. No other section of the wall has rust, but this one.

I felt the liner directly over the rust spots, and I felt many bumps. Which unfortunately means the wall behind the liner is probably covered. I called the company I purchased the pool from, and they are going to replace the entire pool AFTER this summer due to the installer already being booked for the entire summer. I’m curious as to if you guys think it is safe to continue swimming in. The last thing I want, is a total collapse with guests swimming. I’ve attached a picture, as you probably imagine I was surprised to find this upon opening the pool!

Attachments

• 2B642A97-D612-49C8-B8CE-7523D0BEC450.jpeg
    2B642A97-D612-49C8-B8CE-7523D0BEC450.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 43
Honestly, it’s hard to tell from the photo. Do you have spots that are soft, like you could poke a finger right through it? If so I would not let anyone swim in it.

Water seeks level, and the force of water against the wall is huge. If there is a weak spot the force will eventually tear the steel wall like it was a paper towel! When my rusty pool gave way, it slapped the fence hard enough to break a wood top rail and lean the fence to the left.

I would try to get moved up in the installer’s schedule. It’s not right that you should lose a summer of swimming due to their sub-standard product.

What brand of pool is this? How much of the pool is rusted? Just that section or all over? I can tell you in my experience, however much rust you see on the outside, there is far more on the inside.

Reactions: Blake1989
I wouldn’t say they are soft enough to poke a finger through, but they are drenched in moisture. The brand was Asahi/Mighty Sun which is a pool company based out of Japan. When I purchased this pool, I was unaware of the brand/quality difference unfortunately.

It's probably ok to use. If it were me I'd get a thinner sheet of plywood and bend it to follow the curve and throw a brace or 2 behind it like wedging a door closed just to have peace of mind

Dont screw thru the wall into liner whatever you do !

I worry about the wood doing more harm than good. The water could get behind the wood and really cause more rusting. It will also be hard to get the wood to stay where you want it as the water is added back to the pool. Then there is the edges of the wood doing a number on the liner.

Now if you are talking about putting it on the outside of the wall and bracing it that way...........again nope. If it is that unstable then you should not even take the chance on using the pool.

You could do a light sanding of the area, paint it with a rust neutralizer THEN put some fiberglass mat over to help keep it solid. That is ONLY if you are sure it is solid.

Thank you everyone for the prompt replies. So are you guys leaning more toward safe? Or?

I also like how on the main parts page they have a warning to inspect your pool walls for rusting. Wish I would have known to research before purchasing a pool for brand reputation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I found what has been causing the rust. Immediately on the inside of the liner where the rust is are two holes. The other is about an inch under the water.

I also measured my pool to check the leveling, and found out it’s out of level by almost 2 inches and THIS is on the side that is more shallow. I never measured it until now, I ignorantly figured it was within safety margin of an inch or so. Could the rips/holes be caused by the out of level amount? As it’s pulling on the liner more as the holes are on the more shallow side?

Attachments

• B829907B-CCBB-4621-90C6-C97A605EFC58.jpeg
    B829907B-CCBB-4621-90C6-C97A605EFC58.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I don't think that caused the liner problem. Its actually more likely the rust cut the hole in the liner. My pool didn't have any holes in the liner, but developed extensive rust on one side of the pool. I believe that poor rust proofing and condensation between the liner and the wall caused the wall to rust.

I think it is condensation. The rust spots on my pool would weep, but my liner didn't leak at all.View attachment 101747
After it failed, this is what the inside of that same section of wall looked like.View attachment 101748
Directly above this section of my pool there was a hole about the size of a penny under the water about an inch. I’m not sure how long it’s been there, but this part of the liner isn’t directly against the inside of the pool wall. Also did yours collapse?

Yes, it did. The worst of the rust was near the bottom and a softball size hole rusted through. I lowered the water level to take off excess pressure on the wall until I could attempt a repair. but Harvey filled it back up and it failed before I could drain it again.

Yes, it did. The worst of the rust was near the bottom and a softball size hole rusted through. I lowered the water level to take off excess pressure on the wall until I could attempt a repair. but Harvey filled it back up and it failed before I could drain it again.
I patched the hole under the water line, but I don’t have any holes on the actual pool wall rusted through yet. Just moisture on the actual rust spots. I’m just hoping the rust hasn’t damaged the structural integrity of the pool wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.