RPM while filtering

Ukiwis

Jul 22, 2018
California
Hi there

I have a Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump.

I have often wondered if it is running at an appropriate speed or whether I could take it down a notch or 2 to make it quieter and save some energy. I found the following settings and when in pool mode, it primes at 2500 for 3 minutes then runs at 3000 RPM for 6 hours. Is this appropriate or is it too high a speed?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Cheers
Kiwi

1578342010917.png

More than likely, you can reduce the RPM. If you don't have a SWG or heater running about the only thing limiting the low end of RPM is the skimmer. With too little flow rate, the weir door does not pull down and the skimmer stops skimming. But normally, flow rates can get down to 15 GPM per skimmer before that happens.

The most efficient speed for the Intelliflo is around 1000 RPM and that should be enough for the skimmer.

Also, if you don't have an SWG, 6 hours may not be necessary either.

Reactions: Ukiwis
U,

It is your pool and you can do anything you want, but we do not normally recommend constant running of a waterfall or spillover spas.. For many reasons, but electrical use for starters.

Jim R.

U,

It is your pool and you can do anything you want, but we do not normally recommend constant running of a waterfall or spillover spas.. For many reasons, but electrical use for starters.

Jim R.

Hi Jim

I do not think I can automate that with what I currently have but I might be wrong. I have played around a little but the only way I could turn off the waterfall was to manually turn the highlighted blue ball valve to the off position to stop return flow to the tub. I was looking to do it so that the tub temperature requires less heating during the winter when the pool is not being heated. As it currently stands the tub takes about 90 minutes to heat from 57F to 104F.

I believe the picture shows the valve to the right of the highlighted ball valve in "Pool" mode. When in "Spa" mode the handle is rotated 180 degrees turning off the pool return.

Is there a way for me to turn that waterfall off and on with what I have or would I need to make a change?

TIA
KIWI

1578411514986.png

Hi there

I have a Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump.

I have often wondered if it is running at an appropriate speed or whether I could take it down a notch or 2 to make it quieter and save some energy. I found the following settings and when in pool mode, it primes at 2500 for 3 minutes then runs at 3000 RPM for 6 hours. Is this appropriate or is it too high a speed?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Cheers
Kiwi

View attachment 124679
Speed #8 says "In Floor". Do you have an in-floor cleaning system? If so, they tend to need rather high pressure and flow rate so you may need to run at a fairly fast speed if using such a system.

Kiwi,

I agree with Allen.. If you set up the Aqualink spillover mode, you can then shut off the highlighted ball valve. You then would schedule the spillover mode once or twice a day for half and hour, or whatever it takes to keep your spa water fresh and chlorinated.

You would use your pump speed to control the amount of spillover you want in the spillover mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Ukiwis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dip switch 3 on the Aqualink panel enables spillover mode on your controller. Then you can control when the spillover runs. See..

I apparently had the pool light plugged into the AUX3 position so I moved it over to AUX5 and labeled it appropriately.

I then enabled DIP Switch 3 and now have SPILLOVER showing on the equipment tab in iAqualink.

However, when the filter is running, I still have the spillover into the pool running.

Also, when I turn Spillover on from the equipment tab, it get the "Select Color" menu.

I know I missed something but what exactly?

Show me clearer pictures of your return pipes in POOL mode and SPA mode.

You need to tell Aqualink that AUX3 is not a light. There should be a configuration screen.

Turn off the blue valve. That feeds water to your spa when in pool mode.

AUX3 no longer shows on that page because you made it the SPILLOVER. You may need to turn dip switch 3 off so you can get it to display on the labels page, remove the light setting, then turn dipswitch 3 on again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.