Roll-Out Flame

May 5, 2016
MONSEY
My roll-out tripped and I was able to see flames coming out from the left of the pipe, after removing everything, cleaning and reinstalling, I watched for flames to come out the same spot and they dont, BUT they now to appear to come out from in front - where there isnt the roll-off switch.

See attached pictures.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• Pool Heater.jpg
    Pool Heater.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 25
Did you remove the jets and clean them as well as the long burner tubes? The gas shoots out the jets and down the burner tube where it ignites. If you are getting a flame there, the jet is partially clogged and gas is just slowly leaking out, and is igniting. If the burner tube was blocked, you would probably get a larger flame there. Take that corresponding jet out and clean it.

Its not impossible to have a jet get clogged again after cleaning.

Even if you have thoroughly cleaned the orifices and burners ( inside and out ), which may have been the initial cause of the incomplete combustion you still need a clear path for combustion through the heater from the orifices through the burners and heat exchanger and out through the exhaust port. Incomplete combustion ( indicated by a lazy yellow flame ) produces carbon ( soot ) as a byproduct which can get caught in the heat exchanger and block the path of combustion further with a snowballing effect. You should check the heat exchanger for blockage to ensure the path of combustion is not blocked in any way. Full model number from your heater would be helpful because from the information given, I cannot tell if your heater is natural draft or induced draft or its age. Rollout itself is indicative of a blockage upstream from the burners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.