Jul 30, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.
I don't mean to hijack the thread here but since we're talking about robots, can someone shed some light on the vast options available?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved from here.
I don't mean to hijack the thread here but since we're talking about robots, can someone shed some light on the vast options available?

Do a search on the forum or Google as there is a tone of info out there.

Once you do a little research ask a more specific question and people will answer it

Robotic cleaners are great but costly. People here seem to love the Maytronics Dolphin series and for good reason.

Polaris/ zodiac work well but are costly when they break.

Hayward makes decent cleaners as well.

There are other manufacturers and some are just rebranded Maytronics, Polaris or Hayward products.

The 2 newest top of the line robotic cleaners are Hayward AquaVac 650 and the Mytronics Dolphin M600. I did a detailed review of both on the forums here along with videos.

Okay so I've read around the forums and online and I'm in between a few models:
Doheny Discovery or Mercury (only difference seems to be Bluetooth on the Mercury that may or may not work well +$200)
Active 20 or 30
Dolphin Premier (haven't seen any feedback on TFP about this one, anyone have it?)

In North Carolina and I only use the pool on the weekends. The pool is away from the house and is completely surrounded by very tall pine trees so I'm constantly cleaning pine needles, leaves, and other tree debris out of the pool and skimmer. I run the VS pump 24/7 for the skimming. I'm not sure if I'd leave the bot in the pool all the time (seems to not be an issue) or take it out. It would depend on how often I need to run it. I'm a little concerned if the slope of the floor will be a problem for the robot? Given the simple design of the oval pool, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the Bluetooth features.

Pool Pictures

In North Carolina and I only use the pool on the weekends. The pool is away from the house and is completely surrounded by very tall pine trees so I'm constantly cleaning pine needles, leaves, and other tree debris out of the pool and skimmer. I run the VS pump 24/7 for the skimming. I'm not sure if I'd leave the bot in the pool all the time (seems to not be an issue) or take it out. It would depend on how often I need to run it. I'm a little concerned if the slope of the floor will be a problem for the robot? Given the simple design of the oval pool, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the Bluetooth features.

Pool Pictures

From my perspective the S200/Active 20 is the best bang for the buck. Can be had for $700 or less and cleans exactly the same as its more expensive siblings. Remote control via your phone sounds like a good idea but it sucks in execution, and isn't the point of the robot to "Set it and forget it?" Again from my perspective, you need a power button and that's it. In the rare instance when it doesn't get 100% of the dirt, run another cycle. I used to get up early to manually vacuum my pool Saturday mornings and now I use that time to drop stuff off at the cleaners, pick up pool snacks for the weekend and get miscellaneous stuff done around the house. I can walk out to a spotless pool with a number of tasks checked off by 9AM.

I'm with Geebot. I had a Polaris pressure cleaner for years, came with the house when we bought it. Rebuilt it once, but had to constantly fiddle with it. This year I'd had enough, bit the bullet and bought the dolphin s200. Works great, easy to clean, makes life easier.

I’ve tried the Polaris 4wd units and the Active 20. While the active 20 is cheaper, you are getting what you paid for. It doesn’t clean as well as Polaris, gets stuck on drains, and find overall control unit to be lacking in features and day to day reliability. Go with a Polaris if you can spring it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.