Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

If they're burning wood, I would pick no. 1
If it's gas, I'd pick no. 1 without timber and the near-top horizontals extended across, or no. 4 without the inverted curves on the sides

But hey, I wear socks and sandals when I feel like it.

I think #1 matches the rest of the build. Are there any curved surfaces anywhere else? # 2 & #3 have those curves, which are nice, but they don’t match anything else, do they?

#4 - Yuck. No way.

I like #1 since I think it matches the other build features like the posts/columns on the patio. I also like the wood mantle better than the stone mantle. I think it ties it together better.
#1 also makes a nice set of stairs up to the top of the pergola for those that wish to test their acrobatic skills.

I think I'd pick 1.

I like #1 since I think it matches the other build features like the posts/columns on the patio. I also like the wood mantle better than the stone mantle. I think it ties it together better.
#1 also makes a nice set of stairs up to the top of the pergola for those that wish to test their acrobatic skills.

I think I'd pick 1.

I think #1 matches the rest of the build. Are there any curved surfaces anywhere else? # 2 & #3 have those curves, which are nice, but they don’t match anything else, do they?

#4 - Yuck. No way.

The only curves are the rafter tails. I thought that might soften up the sharp edges.

If they're burning wood, I would pick no. 1
If it's gas, I'd pick no. 1 without timber and the near-top horizontals extended across, or no. 4 without the inverted curves on the

I did #4 to break up all the stone. There's a lot of it back there and with as big as the fireplace is, I was worried there would be too much...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Date night!!!! But I am home now!!!!

#2 is my pick!!! #4 is next.............NO to #3-too curvy

I like the small curves on #2 and #4...........I like the wood to break up the stone on #2............so #2 it is!!

Kim:kim:

I was worried we were going to have to send a search party to Florida for a lady wandering the streets with 32 cats following her trail of bling glitter...

I hope everyone is imagining the mantle with a Nick Foles autographed football in the middle, and towels draped from the corners.

But in all seriousness, I'm not loving the Evel Knievel landing ramps on the sides. For me, they're clashing with the ornate curves above. I definitely like the timber mantel, as long as the top outer corners aren't too close to the design elements above them. I also like that timber will help conceal/blend with soot marks over time. All of them are classic and beautiful and make me think of turkey dinner at a castle!

:roll: yeah it is not like I can hid anywhere..............sitting down to dinner and hear the sound of little feet running my way..........arms thrown around my neck and squeals of "MRS. SCOTT!!!" right in my ear! One of my past kids saw me and slipped her parents hand to come say hi LOL Parents right behind her apologizing but laughing with us as well.............got to love it! They all ended up sitting with us. My poor husband is used to it by now. New friends get used to it after a time or two.

Oh and it is not 32 cats.......go down a few and you will have it. We are set up for 1 per 1/2 acre........

You’ll all be happy to know that I’ve discovered the source of Brian’s Wanger -

Wangerland - Wikipedia

So now everyone can have their own Wanger....

Ok, hijack over, resume your discussion of appropriately sized mantles.

- - - Updated - - -

:roll: yeah it is not like I can hid anywhere..............sitting down to dinner and hear the sound of little feet running my way..........arms thrown around my neck and squeals of "MRS. SCOTT!!!" right in my ear! One of my past kids saw me and slipped her parents hand to come say hi LOL Parents right behind her apologizing but laughing with us as well.............got to love it! They all ended up sitting with us. My poor husband is used to it by now. New friends get used to it after a time or two.

Oh and it is not 32 cats.......go down a few and you will have it. We are set up for 1 per 1/2 acre........

Mrs Jones is our school’s beloved Kinder teacher. She tough as nails with the parents (an Air Force brat by upbringing) but she’s an absolute joy with the kiddos. She’ll say the same exact thing - when she’s out on the town, there’s not a place she can go without running into her former little ones ... some of them are college kids now ;)

My little Stephen will be transitioning from pre-K to kinder next year and Mrs Jones will get to beat up on me some more....

I hope everyone is imagining the mantle with a Nick Foles autographed football in the middle, and towels draped from the corners.

But in all seriousness, I'm not loving the Evel Knievel landing ramps on the sides. For me, they're clashing with the ornate curves above. I definitely like the timber mantel, as long as the top outer corners aren't too close to the design elements above them. I also like that timber will help conceal/blend with soot marks over time. All of them are classic and beautiful and make me think of turkey dinner at a castle!

Not sure if it changes things but this fireplace can't have any combustibles within 21" of the fireplace opening... That means no wood for the mantle. In order to keep it in proportion the mantle will have to be made out of concrete to look like wood.

Who's ever heard of a fireplace catching on fire :roll:

Not sure if it changes things but this fireplace can't have any combustibles within 21" of the fireplace opening... That means no wood for the mantle. In order to keep it in proportion the mantle will have to be made out of concrete to look like wood.

Like most voters above, I like 1 best. I was actually thinking 1 without the mantel would be best! Rather than going to a stone mantel, try a rendering with no mantle. I really like the massive masonry surfaces in 1, it gives it a very solid look, like it will be there for the ages. Although the wood mantle was also pretty massive, I just felt it was a distraction. If it was my build, I would have ditched the mantle voluntarily, the permit issue is like manna from heaven.

Like most voters above, I like 1 best. I was actually thinking 1 without the mantel would be best! Rather than going to a stone mantel, try a rendering with no mantle. I really like the massive masonry surfaces in 1, it gives it a very solid look, like it will be there for the ages. Although the wood mantle was also pretty massive, I just felt it was a distraction. If it was my build, I would have ditched the mantle voluntarily, the permit issue is like manna from heaven.

They were pretty excited about the mantle though...

Here's an idea of what it will probably look like but not quite as rustic:

IMG_20170322_150527045.jpg

IMG_20170403_171926640_HDR.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.